Trouble with fuel pump

Old 08-21-07, 10:33 AM
Trouble with fuel pump

I replaced the fuel pump on a cub cadet 1018 with an 18.5 HP Briggs engine. The old pump was pouring oil out of its air vent. However, when I replaced it, the new one has started leaking oil out of its vent. I've cleaned the oil off with brake cleaner and painted the fuel pump with blue chalk and it appears to be coming out of the vent. The oil level in the engine is OK. Could I be doing something wrong or could it perhaps be another bad pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's kinda strange, for sure. I almost wonder if it has much too thin oil in it, or if there is a problem with the PCV, because there shouldn't be much of any oil getting up there to begin with. Does the engine have excessive blowby? Thin oil? Is the pump mounted in the proper position?

Old 08-21-07, 07:37 PM
Trouble with fuel pump

Thanks for the rapid reply Cheese. Where exactly is the PCV valve. When I got the rider it was low on oil. I'm like you, there shouldn't be that much oil up there anyway. Could something be wrong in the engine, causing it to be pumped up to the fuel pump? Isn't that what the breather's for? If there is a small amount being pumped up there, isn't there a diaphram in the fuel pump that will stop it from coming out the air vent?

Old 08-22-07, 04:10 AM
Sounds like a problem with crankcase ventilation but it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the breather assembly. For instance, if you have a crank seal that is leaking then you could get oil from the pump. Or, if you have a gouge in the cylinder or a badly worn valve guide, just to name a few.

Old 08-24-07, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not looking at a pump right now, but if I recall correctly, the vent on those pumps is on the back side of the diaphragm...and there is no other passage to that side of the diaphragm. That would make me think the diaphragm is leaking. But how oil would be what comes out is beyond me.