Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hooking Up a Pressure Gauge

08-24-07, 09:21 PM   #1  
Hooking Up a Pressure Gauge

Hello Everybody,

It has been some time since I last posted on this site, but I've got a question that I'm sure one of you can handle. I am interested in mounting a pressure gauge to my pressure washer and I know that I should contact the manufacturer for correct specs, but looking at the units and looking at my preesure washer it's not readily apparent just where on the pump it should be mounted. The fittings I believe on the gauge show a male end and a quick disconnect on the other end. There are also gauges that have only a fitting protruding from the bottom of the gauge. Let's assume I plan to use the one gauge that mounts directly to one opening( bottom of the gauge fitting). Does this replace the unloader valve (adjustable) or is there another location where it should be installed??

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Groucho

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-25-07, 01:02 AM   #2  
The unloader valve is necessary for the pump to operate. Don't remove it and replace with a gauge or pump damage will likely result. I don't think I've ever seen a gas pwasher with a gauge...even the larger commercial units. I suppose you could mount an intermediate "T" fitting pipe between the pressure outlet from the pump and the actual hose, and mount a gauge on that, provided you use pipe rated for that kind of pressure.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Super Moderator

CANADA

08-25-07, 05:20 AM   #3  
The place a pressure gage would go would be right before where the hose connects making sure not to remove any components.

They do make gages for pressure washer duty but they are very expensive.
The pulsations are extreme and a regular gage would not last long.
The manufacturer of your washer would likely not be able to help you.
A supplier that deals in commercial car washes would have what you want.

What make and model is your washer?

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

08-25-07, 04:54 PM   #4  
Hooking up a pressure washer gauge

Thanks guys for your replies. Let me say I have a web site for you if your interested in pressure washer gauges. It's PWMall.com and they have quite an assortment of pressure washer accessories and well as pressure washer units and gauges. If you scan the gauges you find that they really aren't expensive and most are under $30. My unit in answer to your question is a NorthStar (11years old) with an AR pump that delivers 2000 [email protected] 3.0gal.
The unit is really compact and is run by a 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV engine.
I have added a lot of bells and whistles to the unit in accessories but the one thing it didn't have from the factory was a pressure gauge. I have searched the internet up one side and down the other and there are only 2 sites that I will use that are really up to snuff, and PWMall.com is one of them. The other is ETS.com. As far as I can tell, your advice on mounting a gauge seems right on target. I had a hunch it was going AFTER the unloader valve and before the high pressure hose fitting. I'll let you guys know how it works after I get one. Thanks again for your help. Groucho

Search this Thread