Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 25cc gas blower

NJ

08-26-07, 05:48 AM   #1  
Craftsman 25cc gas blower

Have had this blower for about 10 years now, i don't get any spark, i suspect the megneto, i need to know what gap this must be set at to get the spark that i need. Do i use a feeler gauge or perhaps a matchbook cover. Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links

WI

08-26-07, 10:04 AM   #2  
no spark

How are you testing for spark? If you test using the plug that was in the machine the plug could be bad. The best way is to test without the plug in the engine and a holding the plug wire near the engine block and pulling the recoil. A cheap method is to make a tester out of a good spark plug by removing the electrode and attaching a metal spring clamp to the spark plug hex body so you can attack the assembly to the block. When testing the mag you also need to remove the grounding wire from the mag to insure the wire or switch is not causing the no spark. The coil is usually set at 0.010 to 0.012 inch from the magnets on the flywheel. With the unit at ten years of age it just might be time to replace it.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

08-26-07, 10:11 AM   #3  
Kill Switch

Hello: Jim

Before suspecting or attempting any repairs, especially with the magneto, check the Kill Switch. Often times and older machine may have a worn out grounded stop or kill switch. If such where constantly grounded, the engine will not start. Any ignition testing would result in a no spark condition.

Might be worth a try...

Use a continuity tester across the switch terminals. Test switch in both the open & closed positions. May find 0 (zero) continuity in the open (Run) position.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread