Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

i killed the mower

GA

08-26-07, 09:37 AM   #1  
i killed the mower

ran out of gas while mowing ex garden area with a yardman hydrostatic lawn tractor box type. since in died i just shut everything down like i always do. filled with gas couple days later, cleaned the area underneath up and cleaned mower. i did find a bunny under the cutting deck. i swear i didn't do it! now the mower won't start. after the 10th time of wiggling the pin on the back i smelled a little gas but nothing else happened. i checked fuse, and air filter. spark plug is in real tight, trying to get it loose to check. i think it might be that pin on the back though. did i kill my husbands mower?

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

08-26-07, 09:56 AM   #2  
Hello melaniejoy. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

I doubt any damage done as a result of the bunny mishap...
However, short term minor bunny revenge is possible......LOL!

When you cleaned the machine, did you wash it down with a hose? May have gotten the ignition system wet or some part of that system wet. Which would cause an electrical grounding, resulting in a failure to start.

Neutral safety switch (if equipped) engaged?

Loose wire? Bad connection? Wet component? On the switch you wiggled?

Just a few possibilities.

The resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum will be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

FL

08-26-07, 06:51 PM   #3  
As usual I need more info :-). You said after running out of gas you waited a couple days then cleaned underneath and cleaned the mower up. I'm guessing you did all this where it sat or did it crank up and run to where you cleaned it? I also have to ask about this pin on the back. Are you talking about the pin that disengages the transmission to be able to push the mower or what? I also don't think this is a bunny related issue.

Last edited by duigoose; 08-26-07 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot to comment on the bunny

NY

08-27-07, 03:23 AM   #4  
Is the engine cranking over? And not starting? Or not even cranking over? If it's no even cranking over, do you at least hear any noise, whatsoever, when you turn the key to the start position?

GA

08-27-07, 04:31 PM   #5  
dead mower

i did wait a few days before cleaning it with a dry rag, its so hot here. i wiggled parts then swore at them couple times. there is no movement, sound or anything. it really is dead. the pin is on the back with only two positions. hanging loose like or pulled tight. tried both things many times still nothing. maybe it is the bunny's ghost? really though, i was just mowing, it died, i shut everything off, then filled it with fresh gas when it finally cooled down. whats the verdict doc, tell me the truth. i can take it.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-27-07, 04:42 PM   #6  
Make sure the mowing blades are in the "off" position. If it uses a long handle to engage the blades, and the handle is all the way up, try pulling up on it while turning the key.

PA

08-28-07, 08:41 AM   #7  
I'm thinking along tha same lines as BFH. Check that the mower blades are turned off, the tranny is in neutral, that you are depressing the brake pedal with your foot before starting.

GA

08-29-07, 07:02 PM   #8  
death of the mower

as soon as it died i disengaged the blades, so they aren't down. i always push the brake pedal down when i start it otherwise it won't start. safety feature? i do everything i normally do to start it and theres nothing. no sound, no smell, not even the headlight comes on. the fuse, battery and spark plug are fine. could it be the transmission?

AL

08-29-07, 10:34 PM   #9  
That Waskley Wibbit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: melaniejoy i did find a bunny under the cutting deck. i swear i didn't do it!
Well......you haven't posted any numbers on the tractor.So I can't look up the IPL to see how many safty switches yours has,and where.BUT I'LL bet thet the bunny had more to do with it than anyone suspects.I'd bet that somehow it pulled a couple of wires of of a safty switch,or maybe even dislodged one.

Anyone here will tell you thet just one safty switch being unpluged will cause a lawn tractor not to do anything.

PA

08-30-07, 08:59 AM   #10  
I'm still trying to figure out what this pin in the back that you are wiggling is for. Does this mower have the engine under the seat (rear engine riding mower)?

NY

08-30-07, 05:29 PM   #11  
Lift the seat up and post back with the model and serial numbers on the sticker under the seat. Also, it would be helpful to know the engine ID numbers, so, find such on the engine - either on the blower shroud or the rocker (valve) cover - and post back with these too. Is the "pin" you keep referencing on the rear of the unit between the rear wheels? In other words, the hydro release lever? Do you have a 12V test light or a Ohms meter to use to diagnose your exact area of trouble?

PA

09-06-07, 09:51 AM   #12  
I guess we might never know what happened to this one. And I was pretty curious as to what it was causing the problem.

FL

09-06-07, 12:52 PM   #13  
bunny took revenge on the computer I reckon

GA

09-09-07, 12:53 PM   #14  
back from the dead

iv'e been busy but 2 days ago we jumped the battery with my new truck and the dang thing started. its wierd because i had tried the same thing in the begining using my jeep and it didn't work. only had mower 2 years. maybe it just wanted a break? or to show me whos boss! thank-you guys for helping me through all of this. you are really a bunch of great people. just hope i won't need ya for a long time. no offense

NY

09-09-07, 03:46 PM   #15  
Generally, things don't fix themselves. I'd say you have an intermittent problem and you'll be back here sooner than you think. I've got my fingers crossed though. My wife calls me a pessimist, I think I'm a realist. Perhaps their one in the same.

Search this Thread