Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower wheels locked MTD

SC

08-28-07, 05:56 AM   #1  
Snowblower wheels locked MTD

I have a mtd yardman 8 hp 26" model 10030L that I can not move. The wheels are locked? as if the drive belt is engaged. They are supposed to trun freely when not squeezing on the lever. I have taken the bottom off and the top belt plate off and all appears to be working nomally. The belts appear ok and it is just out of the 2 year warranty and only been used about 6 times. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully the snow season won't come early. brrrrr. thks, w.s.

Sponsored Links

MA

08-28-07, 08:28 AM   #2  
With the bottom plate off you should see a wheel with black rubber on it. When you squezze the drive lever this wheel should lower down and make contact with the steel "friction disk" . If there is contact without squezing the lever there is an adjustment, usually on the cable or rod to back this off. If there is no contact and you can still not move the wheel it is something else. Do you see a chain under there? It may have come off the sprocket and got wedged not allowing wheels to turn

SC

08-28-07, 09:24 AM   #3  
reply to - smallengineguy

Posted By: smallengineguy With the bottom plate off you should see a wheel with black rubber on it. When you squezze the drive lever this wheel should lower down and make contact with the steel "friction disk" .
Thanks for input. The lever works for the friction plate and disengages when released, the spring pulls it clear of the rubber wheel. The wheels will turn about an 1 1/4" before stopping . Is the drive belt supposed to be so tight? , with the roller attatched to the idler arm pressing against it? All springs are in place as far as I can tell. I can't figure this one. thks w.s.

WI

08-28-07, 06:04 PM   #4  
With the bottom plate still off and the blower turned up on the front end and chute, you should be able to rotate the wheels. If not look for a bushing that has gone bad causing a binding condition or froze up from lack of use. The belt should be tight on this unit at all time for the drive. The drive is pretty simple so just follow the gears, chain etc so that all the shafts turn until you get to the rubber drive wheel that compresses on the big disk that is driven by the engine belt.

NY

08-29-07, 05:00 AM   #5  
There is a problem that many MTD snow products exibit the trouble you're having and there is a bulletin on such. Bear with me a day or so to look into it for you. The problem lies in the four drive spur gears whereas they rust/corrode up and lock up the drive train. I'm still in summer mode and don't recall the bulletin number and those have not been put on the front burner yet...Stay tuned, I'll get back to you.

SC

08-29-07, 06:22 AM   #6  
(Stay tuned, I'll get back to you.)

Thanks I appreciate the help. Will keep an eye out for your post. w.s.

NY

08-31-07, 02:50 PM   #7  
There is an advisory from MTD regarding such trouble and is Service Advisory MTD-028A and relates to 2-stage, wheel driven, non-steerable throwers. If you look at the serial number of your machine the second thru fifth characters indicates the production date. If it falls from F014 (6/1/04) thru A315 (1/31/05) it will be applicable per the advisory. Apparently only these dates are troublesome with all such before not having the drive train yours does and those after the Jan '05 date will have been improved at the assembly line. I recommend consulting with your local MTD service shop to handle any warranty with this and if, for some reason, the date of your does not fall within the specified dates of the advisory, post back here with your serial number and check with your local dealer as well. The service kit that repairs the trouble your experiencing is MTD part number 753-05173 (for 24" & 30" auger) or 753-05191 (for 22" auger).

SC

09-25-07, 09:33 AM   #8  
MTD serial number snowblower

Thanks for your follow up , I have been away on holidays and am eager to get back on with the repair before the snow comes.
QUOTE _
""if, for some reason, the date of your does not fall within the specified dates of the advisory, post back here with your serial number "

Mine is a 26" model with serail # 1C21B10581 001 , purchased in January 2005. I'll check back and see if you have any thing further and will give them a call as well

Thanks again,

SC

11-25-07, 09:38 AM   #9  
mtd snowblower is fixed ! at last!

My thanks to puey61 Topic Moderator for his input on the snow blower. without it I never would have known about a fix. I contacted the manufacturer by email. Apparantly there never was a recall , but only a fix as fail bulletin put out. I have just picked it up from the service depot and it has been fixed , even after the warranty period was over. 1 interesting thing about this , is , when I was loading it on trailer to take in, the wheels freed up to allow me to wheel it onto the trailer. thanks again. Warren

NY

11-27-07, 02:25 AM   #10  
My pleasure, glad all is well. Happy winter!

11-29-07, 05:54 PM   #11  
Posted By: Brantford139 I have a mtd yardman 8 hp 26" model 10030L that I can not move. The wheels are locked? as if the drive belt is engaged. They are supposed to trun freely when not squeezing on the lever. I have taken the bottom off and the top belt plate off and all appears to be working nomally. The belts appear ok and it is just out of the 2 year warranty and only been used about 6 times. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully the snow season won't come early. brrrrr. thks, w.s.
Wheels are probably rusted to the axel. It is nearly impossible to free up once they are set. I have the same problem with a different make. Have been working on it all day and many times before. Suggest you log on XXXXX snow blower shop for suggestions.

Last edited by puey61; 11-30-07 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Our purpose, here, is for suggestions! We are a site that has a good track record and don't recommend other help sites.

SC

04-29-08, 06:04 AM   #12  
MTD Snow Blower failed again

What the ?? This was repaired in NOV 2007 ?? complete new drive ? Worked OK during the snow ( thank heavens cause we had too much ) , went to move it again in the shed to get organized and wheels are locked again. won't move, auger won't move, impeller does move. Phoned repair depot and they said to bring it in, fix as fail bulletin is still out. Now I need a hand to lift it into the trailer ( again ) . this is a serious problem and if it would have happened again during the snowy period It would have been worse. No one needs a tool that is unreliable.
sign me ........ anything but happy

RI

01-07-11, 09:50 AM   #13  
2011 and fix as fail still applies!

MTD still honors the fix as fail bulletin as far as providing the parts. You then fix it yourself or pay a dealer. Warning: stay far away from the RI authorized dealer known as RI Grinding Service. They acknowledged the issue but refused to help with it!

I called MTD at 800.269.6215 and after some explaining and searching they found the bulletin MTD 028 and affirmed it as the Frozen Wheels issue. They told me to have dealer call tech support line for authorization and that is where RI Grinding Service refused to help, complaining about not getting paid by MTD. I called the 800 number back and explained. They transferred me to tech support and kit number 753-05173 is now on it's way to me. By the way, the tech said it WILL fail again because MTD basically tried to build a Swiss watch and failed!

MA

11-06-11, 09:29 AM   #14  
WD-40 comes to the rescue

I have the same issue of wheel lock on my 2004 MTD 24" 8HP snow blower.
I remove the frame cover and put some WD-40 on the axle to soak the needle bearing overnight.

I can turn the friction wheel next morning.

I'm afraid of not able to put back the wheel axle so I did not take out the axle for complete cleaning as MTD tech suggests.

I'm not good at mechanic but WD-40 save me!

Note: Keep WD-40(Lubricant) off the friction wheel and drive plate or you may have worse problem.

MN

11-21-11, 10:01 AM   #15  
Wheels locked - sort of - 22" MTD 31AS6BCE752 built 10/06/04

In a nutshell....
Snowblower moves if Large Gear is slid to the left...
So how do the Gears work?

-------------------------------------------

Rest of the story...
My old 2004 'relible' MTD blower has had the wheel lock up problem for years, but generally, abusing it a little (lifting rear wheels and dropping a few times) has seemed to free up whatever was causing the lock up problem. Last year I had to remove the bottom plate, spray the snot out of the gears with Lithium grease etc. (watching out for the friction plate), and it ran fine all winter.

On the Fourth of July this year, I went into the shed to fire it up.
(It's a tradition - I also start the lawnmower on New Years day...)
It started fine, but the wheels were locked.

Summers are precious in Minnesota, so I put off working on it...

Just had our first snowfall, the wheels were still locked up,
so I tried the time tested lift and drop technique - but it didn't work this time, so I checked a few Website threads, figured, I can do this, and took off the bottom plate.

If you're into gears and stuff, it's not very complicated, so what
can go wrong? (By the way, I'm a computer guy/ Do it Yourselfer who doesn't mind getting dirty).

After studying the gears and not seeing any obvious reason for the wheels to be locked up, I removed the, E clip from the closest axle, slid the Gear to the left (the Gear has a large and small gear as one piece - but the diagram doesn't show it having a large and small gear as one piece).

Anyway, after sliding the large Gear to the left, I could freely rotate the wheels and since the small gear on the right was still in contact with the gear on the hex drive shaft, that also moved.

So on a hunch, I fired the sucker up, squeezed the drive lever, and off it went, with only one of the three gears engaged.

It would only move slowly - in forward and reverse no matter what speed I tried to set it to.

So, could someone explain what all the Gears are for - I'm guessing moving faster....and if the problem is the bearings etc mentioned in other threads, why does it move when the large Gear is disengaged?

And freeze up when the large Gears is Engaged?

Thanks in advance.

RI

11-21-11, 11:06 AM   #16  
A Swiss Watch It Ain't

I sickly enjoyed your post because it virtually matched my experience with my MTD product. Bottom line, never buy an MTD or Yardman product again!

I already wrote about this on this post; did you scroll down or did you not understand it: Here it is again:

MTD still honors the fix as fail bulletin as far as providing the parts. You then fix it yourself or pay a dealer. Warning: stay far away from the RI authorized dealer known as RI Grinding Service. They acknowledged the issue but refused to help with it!

I called MTD at 800.269.6215 and after some explaining and searching they found the bulletin MTD 028 and affirmed it as the Frozen Wheels issue. They told me to have dealer call tech support line for authorization and that is where RI Grinding Service refused to help, complaining about not getting paid by MTD. I called the 800 number back and explained. They transferred me to tech support and kit number 753-05173 is now on it's way to me. By the way, the tech said it WILL fail again because MTD basically tried to build a Swiss watch and failed!

OK, so before I pasted that I had written this:

I experienced the same low caliber drive when disengaging the left most gear until one day that stopped working. When it stopped working I slid back the disengaged gear and it started working again.

Unfortunately when I started it up this summer for maintenance I found it was locked up again.

MTD had a period of time where they provided a kit comprised of the entire drive and wheel axle and gear combination. I recommend calling support with your model and serial number and explain that you need them to honor their Fix on Fail order by sending you the kit needed to switch out your axles and gears on your model. They will resist your request at first, but persevere. This kit is valued at over $200 but they should provide it to you for free.

You should be able to handle the replacement yourself given what you have written so far. It comes with a surprisingly well written installation sheet. My main challenge was getting the rubber wheel spacers off until I remembered my heat gun, at which point they slid off the lithium greased axle quite easily.

OK, so your main challenge now is to convince MTD to give you the kit. Use the term "Fix on Fail" and when they play dumb, persevere!

In the words of the support person at MTD they tried to build a swiss watch and they failed. He also warned me that it was just going to break down again!

From what I can fathom, the ball bearings are seizing up so perhaps dirt is getting in there and why sometimes banging it dislodges the dirt, or a the right wiggle gets it going. Pretty frustrating in the middle of a blizzard though. Maybe once you get it going again you will want to pack the bearings with lithium. The danger of doing that after it jams is that you may be sealing the dirt inside. Just guessing at this point!

Good luck!

NJ

12-11-11, 07:04 AM   #17  
Mtd snowblower wheels freeze

I had the same problem called MTD they refused to send parts stating "out of warranty sorry" But the repair is easy I did it myself. The problems is the NEEDLE BEARINGS in the gears rust inside the gear then to the shaft. Even though u free the gear the bearings will still be rusted frozen and eventually the gear or shaft will break when u need it most. MTD has a 2nd repair kit with an A at the end. All drive parts are in it with special greas to lubricate the needle bearing yourself. Use it all. Anyway did it spring 2011 and hope it works.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-11-11 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Rant deleted

NH

01-04-12, 09:59 AM   #18  
Here is some helpful information if you have this same issue.

Here is a link to the Service Advisory: http://oscar-wilson.com/sk/MTD/MTD-028.pdf

donyboy73 put some videos on YouTube on the repair process.
MTD Snowblower Transmission Repair Part 1/2
MTD Snowblower Transmission Repair Part 1/2 - YouTube

http://www.mtdcanada.com/wexserver/s..._769-02061.pdf

MTD Snowblower Transmission Repair Part 2/2
MTD Snowblower Transmission Repair Part 2/2 - YouTube

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...FsLUbCvCuwN7IQ

I called my local small engine repair shop and they were able to order me the kit for $55.00 with no shipping.

Directly from MTD it is around $60.00 plus shipping. Prices vary based on an internet search.

TB-31.003 may also apply.
http://www.mtdcanada.com/wexserver/s.../TB-31.003.pdf
Bill

Last edited by billwleod; 01-04-12 at 10:57 AM.

NH

11-15-13, 04:28 PM   #19  
I have a similar problem with the wheels locking up. My 8hp MTD was made later in 2005 and has 2 belts (and not covered under the service bulletin previously mentioned). The wheels move when it is in drive but will not roll when the drive is not engaged. Also, it only goes one speed (slow). Any idea what it will take to get it fixed? I am looking at replacing the carb as well but dont want to sink a lot of cash into it.

Search this Thread