Craftsman 6 hp High-Wheel Trimmer Leaking Gas

Old 08-28-07, 06:52 PM
Unhappy Craftsman 6 hp High-Wheel Trimmer Leaking Gas

I just bought an almost new [see title] for a song. Filled up the first tank of gas and went off to start the yard with my tractor. When I got back to use the [see title], I noticed my garage reeked of gasoline.

I removed the trimmer to see what the deal was. The gas is dripping about a drop every 5 secs or so, from the bottom of the fuel filter housing. I noticed the throttle was wide open, so I pulled it back to *stop*, stuffed some paper towels to get the pools dried up, and let it sit in the sun to dry.

Some hours later, it is still leaking, and as best I can tell, the leak is either at the far end of the gas supply tube [away from the tank] at what appears to be the gas filter. The tank side of the supply line looks nice, tight and dry. The filter side is pretty obscured and it's hard to get at without disassembling stuff that might get me in trouble.

Now, this thing looks pretty near new, aside from the string on it. I have another B&S 6HP [mower] that I've had for years and nary a problem...but this one is almost brand new and leaking gas. Any idea what could cause this on such a new machine?

When I bought this, I was also/mainly buying a 13hp Ariens snowblower, so the weed trimmer had to be positioned vertical to fit. I never smelled any gas, but I thought maybe this might have done it....though the leak is at the top, and not the bottom as gravity would suggest.

Thoughts?

Edit: It was a near 4 hour ride from the equipment pickup to my house.

Last edited by slappy; 08-28-07 at 06:55 PM. Reason: clarification of ride time
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would suspect that the needle/seat is leaking, but it could be leaking in any number of places. You'll have to find out where it's coming from before you know what to fix.

Old 08-29-07, 04:50 AM
If the leak is at or near the air cleaner housing this would indicate that fuel is pushing out the emulsion tube while at rest and would indicate that the inlet needle seat and/or the float is to blame. To be safe, I recommend a carburetor reconditioning using the proper Tecumseh parts for your particular engine model. Post back with the engine ID numbers and we can advise you on the correct parts needed for the carb and any others, if needed.

Old 08-29-07, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't get the manual with the trimmer. When searching last night, I found almost every response had some carb-related solution, so here's what I bought from sears last night, lol.

The manual (can't stand not having one)
A carb reconditioning kit (float pin, welch something, needle seat valve, air cleaner gasket, washer seal, seal o-ring, choke throttle)
carb float
pre + air filter

Total was 49$ shipped, which puts me at $110 total for a [now on sale] $300 machine. I think the guy I bought it from let gas sit in it indefinitely, and the gas turned into a solvent on the goods.

I don't know much about engines other than oil/filter changes, but these problems come up enough to warrant a closer look. I bought a couple of small-engine books on amazon last night (Briggs/Stratton's new small engine repair and Repairing Your Outdoor Power Equipment jay weber).

As many small engines as I have in my garage, i'm sick of relying on someone else's schedule and additional fees every time.

If anyone can think of any other good books, or anything missing from the order, let me know. The engine # is [Briggs/Stratton] 122T122T02-3863-B1. 6HP. Also, anything else I'm gonna need to get rolling with this. I don't even really know what a carb is, but I want to start learning all this stuff.

Thanks everybody.

Old 08-29-07, 12:20 PM
I personally don't think you need the stuff you ordered, however if you aren't sure what the carb is the manuals will help a lot. Just keep things in order as you take it apart so you know the sequence for reassembly, the throttle linkage and govenor springs are tricky some times and for those I would suggest drawing a diagram or taking a picture for reference. You will need to make a trip to the auto parts store for a can(usually comes in a gallon container) of bath type carb cleaner, a can or 2 of spray carb cleaner and brake parts cleaner. If you want help with the disassemble post back and we can help. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-30-07, 06:03 PM
You may get away without any bath cleaner but will surely need a carb/choke spray cleaner minimally (one can should do). The correct parts you should have gotten are: 498260, carb kit; 398187, float (which you won't need since it is plastic); 491588S, air filter; And, 493537S, pre-filter. One other item that would be helpful on this engine (Briggs single cylinder flat head engine) is the service manual, Briggs part number 270962. Geo, what is your diagnosis since you don't believe that this is carburetor related?

Old 08-30-07, 07:50 PM
Puey61;
I agree it is the carb, however do not think it is necessary to rebuild the carb on a mower less than 3 yrs old. As a bowl type carb, remove the bowl check for obvious varnish then procede accordingly, clean the jet, check the float for freeness set it down with fuel line attached to see if fuel shuts off when float is raised if not, time to soak it or reattach the bowl and fill the carb with carb cleaner thru the fuel line entrance and let it set over nite then drain and reattach the fuel line. Have a good one. Geo