Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacement Engine for a 2001 Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor

08-31-07, 08:58 PM   #1  
Replacement Engine for a 2001 Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor

The engine on our 2001 Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor has seized. The fly wheel will not turn either way. The tractor has a 25 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Does anyone know where we might find a comparable engine for this tractor at a reasonable price that we could just drop in and does not require any modifications?

A 23HP would also be ok. How difficult is it to replace the engine in this tractor? Where can we find a manual that will show us how to replace the engine? Will the engine come with everything that we will need to bolt it on?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Sponsored Links

MI

08-31-07, 09:30 PM   #2  
a new engine is not cheap at all for the HP you want depending on brand 600 and up so I would check ebay for a used engine. shouldn't be hard to remove but depends on skill level and tools. there should be fore bolts accessed from underneath the mower that hold the engine to the frame.disconnect all wires and cables noting where they go. whats the model number of the tractor so I can look up a diagram of the wiring.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-07, 11:21 PM   #3  
Before taking the plunge, have you verified that the engine is actually siezed? The starter gear could be jammed in the flywheel, a magnet under the flywheel could have come out and jammed against the charging stator, or the cylinders could be full of fuel from a carb leaking into the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

08-31-07, 11:47 PM   #4  
Maybe the deck is engaged and a mandrel is locked up? I've seen it happen once.

09-01-07, 09:53 AM   #5  
RE: Replacement Engine for a 2001 Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor

Posted By: flirty1 a new engine is not cheap at all for the HP you want depending on brand 600 and up so I would check ebay for a used engine. shouldn't be hard to remove but depends on skill level and tools. there should be fore bolts accessed from underneath the mower that hold the engine to the frame.disconnect all wires and cables noting where they go. whats the model number of the tractor so I can look up a diagram of the wiring.
Hi flirty1:

The Model Number of the tractor is:

Thank you,

David

NY

09-02-07, 06:24 AM   #6  
This is per the Briggs dealer site lookup:
ORIGINAL ENGINE
Model Type Crankshaft
445777 0154 691046
IPL | Owners Manual List

SHORT BLOCK
Part Number Notes

REPLACEMENT ENGINE
Model Type Change Type # To RPM Trim
445777 0027 3300 All
IPL | Owners Manual List

NOTES
If the original engine is equipped with a Six Pin Wiring Harness transfer to the replacement engine.
Transfer Muffler and/or Spark Arrester Assembly from the original engine if suitable for additional service or add new parts as required

In most cases, the Original Type numbers shown may be replaced by a Service Type Number without making any changes. Necessary changes of engine parts such as crankshafts, reduction parts, blower housings, etc., are noted. Other differences such as mufflers, elbows, deflectors, etc., are not listed but are very important for safety and engine performance. Be sure the exhaust system on the replacement engine duplicates the system originally selected by the equipment manufacturer. Parts that are suitable for additional use should be transferred. Before making any conversion, check the data shown in the column labeled "REMOVE, ADD and NOTE." See if the changes, which are shown, are actually necessary on the application in question. Often a standard service engine will be a WORKABLE replacement without converting to such things as a special fuel tank or starter position.

The SHORT BLOCK part number shown, is the assembly which can be used to rebuild the Original Type Number.

IMPORTANT: The maximum RPM at which the replacement engine should run will appear according to model, type and trim number of the original engine. Adjust governor speed control so engine will not exceed this specified speed.

2000 Briggs & Stratton Corporation

Here's what I'll say about this subject though, this engine is overkill by Husqvarna/Electrolux/AYP and you could easily get by with a small twin (16-18 horse) using either a Briggs Intek I/C or a Kohler Command or even a big single with Kohler Command the best choice.

Search this Thread