Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yard Machines lawn tractor won't move

09-04-07, 12:30 PM   #1  
Yard Machines lawn tractor won't move

I have a 4 year old Yard Machines lawn tractor - not sure of model and serial number, as I'm not at home right now. 42" deck, 17.5hp - basically similar to the model 13AN772G729 that they sell now.

I was mowing, slowed down, and then pushed down on the gas to speed up. Heard a loud snap, the gas pedal sunk all the way down, but I no longer had any forward motion. I disengaged the blades, turned it off, tried starting it again, with the same result. The engine will start, I can engage the blades, but the lawn tractor will not move.

Before I have the local repair folks come and pick it up to do an estimate (a $100 process in itself), can anyone give me an idea as to the magnitude of the problem - does it sound like a big (big=expensive & time consuming) problem or a minor (minor=minimal labor, few parts, maybe a belt?) one?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

09-04-07, 01:49 PM   #2  
Posted By: clynnsilva I have a 4 year old Yard Machines lawn tractor - not sure of model and serial number, as I'm not at home right now. 42" deck, 17.5hp - basically similar to the model 13AN772G729 that they sell now.

I was mowing, slowed down, and then pushed down on the gas to speed up. Heard a loud snap, the gas pedal sunk all the way down, but I no longer had any forward motion. I disengaged the blades, turned it off, tried starting it again, with the same result. The engine will start, I can engage the blades, but the lawn tractor will not move.

Before I have the local repair folks come and pick it up to do an estimate (a $100 process in itself), can anyone give me an idea as to the magnitude of the problem - does it sound like a big (big=expensive & time consuming) problem or a minor (minor=minimal labor, few parts, maybe a belt?) one?

Thanks!
You broke a spring. The spring puts tension on the idler pulley and when it broke, the drive belt can no longer be engaged.

Should cost somewhere less than $10.

Go to you local small engine repair shop, you will need your tractor brand, model, model number and serial number (usually on a metal plate, possibly under the seat or somewhere visible). Tell them you need this spring and they can look it up and furnish a replacment.

While there ask if they can print off a copy of the illustrated parts page. This will give you an idea as to where the spring goes. Replacing it is a simple matter of hooking one end into a hole , stretching it and hooking the other end - 2 minutes tops.

PS the original spring is still connected under the unit, one end broke off. Should be able to see it hanging.

NY

09-05-07, 06:25 PM   #3  
You can do a "dealer search" for the nearest MTD service shop in your area for the needed part(s) on MTD's website.

09-09-07, 03:06 PM   #4  
Update

Posted By: enigma-2 You broke a spring. The spring puts tension on the idler pulley and when it broke, the drive belt can no longer be engaged.

PS the original spring is still connected under the unit, one end broke off. Should be able to see it hanging.

I don't see a spring hanging but I see a very loose belt that runs front to back of the machine. Is it loose because of the spring, or is this potentially a separate problem?
Thanks
Cheryl

NY

09-09-07, 03:36 PM   #5  
We need the exact model and serial number in order to know exactly what you have for a machine and the drive train type. You should find these numbers under the seat.

09-09-07, 04:20 PM   #6  
Model number is 13AP608G129
Serial number is 1D023H10286

Forgot to include these before.
Cheryl

09-09-07, 05:17 PM   #7  
Just checked - both springs are intact.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-07, 08:42 PM   #8  
Sounds to me like one of the belts popped off....probably the back belt under the seat.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

09-09-07, 08:51 PM   #9  
It might have even been one of the wheel keys sheir in one of the rear wheels you herd.By design,if just one of these keys brakes the tractor wont go anywhere.

And the clutch pedal sunking down might be still another problem.

Search this Thread