Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deer quit and no starter now

WI

09-06-07, 03:50 PM   #1  
John Deer quit and no starter now

I was using the JD tractor/ lawn mower, about 10 years old, and it just quit and henceforth, no starter - the starter is just spinning. I could see the starter going but making it quit just prior doesn't make sense to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

PS: there was some mice insulation around the carb but this shouldn't cause the tractoe to quit?

Thanks,

Lance

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-06-07, 09:27 PM   #2  
This evidence of mice can be the problem. The engine is air cooled, and the fan inside is all there is to keep it cool. It blows air through narrow fins that dissipate the heat. If a mouse builds a nest under the engine shroud, the debris will blow down into and clog the cooling fins. It doesn't take long afterwards to overheat and cook the engine. Sometimes it will run ok again after it cools, with minimal damage done. Often, it drops a valve seat. The debris can also get hung up around the starter causing the bendix to not be able to engage the flywheel. Remove the engine shroud and you should be able to see the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread