Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homelite chain saw quits

09-07-07, 05:55 AM   #1  
Homelite chain saw quits

Have a 245 Homelite chain saw. Will run for about 2 minutes at hi speed, then bogs down and eventually quits. I have rebuilt the carb (new diaphram kit) and replaced the gasket between the carb and manifold, installed new plug. No carbon buildup in muffler either. The hi jet is set at 3/4 turn and lo jet at 1 turn. The saw starts fine, idles good, just won't keep running. I do not know if there's a fuel filter somewhere, but it appears to be getting fuel.
Thanx

Sponsored Links

FL

09-07-07, 06:17 AM   #2  
Well you've done everything I would think of so I can't help much. Maybe turn the high speed out another half turn or so (?) but I don't know. I did have a string trimmer once that did what yours is doing and I had to remove the high and low speed 'needles' or whatever they are to clean in there and it helped. As for the fuel filter, I think most small 2-cycle stuff has a filter attached to a fuel line in the fuel tank just to comment on the filter question. Hang in here and folks that know will be along soon.

NY

09-07-07, 12:34 PM   #3  
Yes, there will be a fuel filter at the end of the fuel pickup line in the tank. Perhaps this is filthy but try the trick of opening up the hi needle the half turn that goose recommended first, or also, if you like. When you reconditioned the carburetor did you also soak or at least clean the carb before you installed the new diaphragms and gaskets? If so, with what specifically? Perhaps the carb passageways are still plugged up.

09-07-07, 06:21 PM   #4  
Yep, soaked the carb in varsol, dried it all off, then cleaned it with some spray carb cleaner, ran a tiny little wire through the jet holes.. blew everything with compressed air... didn't see the point in replacing the welch plug or the needle, they both looked good. Only thing has me puzzled is I got way more parts in the diaphram kit than what I took off.. It came with a clear plastic piece that looks like it goes on the opposite side of the fuel needle. I didn't use it....The carb is a Zama C1S

MO

09-07-07, 06:54 PM   #5  
Here I go again, when you installed the new kit, if you used the new metering arm replace it with the old/original one unless it was very worn, it has the proper height setting. Have a good one. Geo

NY

09-09-07, 06:51 AM   #6  
The carb kit likely did come with more parts than you need, this is standard practice. Just use the correct parts you need. Varsol may not be enough to clean out any heavy varnish buildup, you would need to use a stronger cleaner such as Napa # 6402, carburetor bath cleaner. What is the serial number of the carb...will begin with an "H"? What is the RB number of the kit you purchased?

WI

09-09-07, 09:03 AM   #7  
I had a simular problem with a Husqvarna chain saw with a Zama carb where I had to replace the whole carb. Never could get to run correctly and enough power to cut though a log. Soaked the carb in high strength carb bath, took everything out and could blow through all the passages. It seems as if something is blocking a passage that is not soluable, possible a left over chip from the maching process that finally shifted into the wrong spot. I have seen a lot of warranty work come in on units with the Zama carbs on trimmers and blowers and the factory reps. said to just replace the carbs.

09-21-07, 12:52 PM   #8  
Thanx to everyone who helped. Good news, got it running, and it's really haulin' ass. Figured I had a fuel problem, so took the carb apart again, (3rd time). Found a big glob of really fine sawdust in a hole...cleaned it out with a Q Tip and it seems this hole had the fuel filter in it. Now I know what that little screen in the kit was for. What can I say, I'm no expert when it comes to diaphram carbs. Everyone I talked to told me the filter was in the tank. But I'm happy, it's working great., the chips are flyin' again !!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-21-07, 08:41 PM   #9  
Glad you got it going, and thanks for the update.

The fuel filter is in the tank though, just so you know. That screen isn't the "fuel filter", although it is a filter.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread