Parts for Poulan Model 25 Chainsaw

Old 09-08-07, 11:42 AM
Parts for Poulan Model 25 Chainsaw

Hi,

I have an old Poulan Model 25 chainsaw mfg. by Beaird-Poulan. The saw belonged to my Grandfather and was the first saw I ever used about 40-years ago when I was around 10 or so. I would like to pass a workable saw onto my older son. Getting to use a cahinsaw used by your Great-Grandfather -- how cool would that be?

I have been having trouble finding the Carb kits for it. It will run with fuel dumped through the carb. I can see the fuel coming up through the line, but it drops right back into the tank as soon as the saw stops so I assume the needle is not seating correctly.

I did clean out the fuel tank, replace the fuel line and fuel-line filter. Also, I have had the carb apart and cleaned it up even though it looked ok.

From looking at a parts site, it appears that the Model XXV and other "Model 25s" are essentially the same saw, but when I ordered the gasket/diaphragm kit, it definitely was not for the same carb even though at least the diaphragm on the needle side seemed correct.

First, does anyone know if one of the carbs on the "newer" models would work just as well or better, and, secondly, any idea on where to find the correct parts for the carb it has?

Thank you, Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-07, 07:49 PM
Car numbers please

If you look closely at the carb you will find the name of the manufacturer(of the carb) and the carb numbers. If you post those numbers we can tell you the correct carb kit.

AJ

Old 09-08-07, 07:58 PM
Hi AJ,

On one side it says "Tillotson, Toldeo, O."

The other side has "Tillotson, Toledo, O." and a raised "2" near the throttle piece.

Where the fuel inlet is, it has "HU10A" stamped in it.

On the throttle side where the idle screw is, it looks like there might be a "71" inside a small circle.

Thanks for your help, Mark

Old 09-08-07, 08:27 PM
Tillotson carb

Ok you have a Tillotson HU10A carb Gasket & Diaphragm kit is DG-2HU, repair kit RK-14HU. These are Tillotson part numbers.

AJ

Old 09-09-07, 04:26 AM
Hey AJ, Thanks a lot!!!

Found a kit quickly. Picture shows the correct gaskets, etc. Thanks so much for your help.

Mark

Old 09-09-07, 05:39 AM
The circled "71" is the model year of the carburetor and as far as finding another, newer, more modern carb to fit up, I wouldn't!!! You'll then, likely, get an emissions compliant carb and they're basically junk, compared to the non-compliant carbs. Be sure to use a good cleaner before servicing and rebuilding your carb. Depending on the condition of the internals of the carb, once apart, you may need to soak it in a good bath cleaner (I like Napa's # 6402) or, if not so bad, at least a good spray cleaner (I like Briggs & Stratton's # 100042) and also be sure to replace the intake gasket in order to eliminate any possible intake leakage.

Old 09-09-07, 05:55 AM
Hey Puey,

Thanks for the advice. I was only going to replace if I could not find a correct rebuild kit. As old as it is, that was getting questionable.

I did always wonder what was best for cleaning. The insides appear clean enough, but I am positive there is some residue for as long as it sat.

Mark

Old 09-14-07, 06:54 AM
Well, I got the carb kit (the correct one this time I might add) and also shot some small-engine carb cleaner through it.

IT LIVES!!!!! LOL

Does anyone know the high- and low-speed screw adjustments?

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

Mark

Old 09-14-07, 12:10 PM
Generally one turn out +- from seated. Every machine will have its own desire but this is a good starting point and then a final adjustment can be made once the engine is warm.

Search this Thread