Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Snowblower not throwing snow

MN

09-08-07, 02:36 PM   #1  
Toro Snowblower not throwing snow

I bought a used 2 stage Toro snowblower from a friend. I don't have a manual for it. When we had a snowfall over 6" the blower picked up the snow but the motor was not giving it enough power to throw the snow more than a foot or two. I have previously owned a snowblower like this one that would throw the snow so high the snow would fly over our full size van, and over the 4" chain link fence landing in the yard. A distance of roughly 20 feet and over 8' high. The timing or idle seem to be set too low on this new (used) one. Is there anything I can do to speed up the motor?

Sponsored Links

MO

09-08-07, 06:17 PM   #2  
It has been over 100 lately here in St Louis and your talking about blowing snow. Oh well, we need to know the model numbers etc. usually found on the engine schroud before we can start to determine what might be the problem. Have a good one. Geo

NY

09-09-07, 06:45 AM   #3  
Do the engine running RPM's seem OK to your ear under no load situations? Do the RPM's drop off significantly when you encounter snow? I'm thinking you need to remove and service the carburetor. Post back with the chassis' ID numbers as well as the engine's ID. It is quite rare for the governor or speed control bracket to come out of adjustment or for the governor spring to weaken to the point that your experiencing.

WI

09-09-07, 09:16 AM   #4  
Too early for snow here also. You might look at removing the carb heat stove cover and check the throttle shaft on the carb with your finger to see if it is not seized up from setting. It sounds like the engine is not responding to load and the high rpm's are not occuring. Most of these Toro 2 stage units run about 36-3800 rpm's at full throttle and throw the snow real well. If the engine is okay then check the auger belt tension with the engine off and the auger engaged. The idler on most of the 2 stage units have a small slot that can apply more tension on the belt. Good Luck

MI

11-25-07, 03:18 PM   #5  
check the shear pin(s) on the auger also

Search this Thread