Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Primer Bulb

TX

09-09-07, 05:09 PM   #1  
Primer Bulb

My Craftsman 6.0 B&S died on my first pass around the yard yesterday. It has been running great all season until this. It cranked up on the first pull and away I went. After about 3 minutes it just died. Tried to restart it and nothing. Pressed the primer bulb about 5 times and it cranked up for about 10 seconds. Repeated this process a couple of times when I noticed that I had gasoline on my finger. Thats when I found the rip in the bulb. My question is would this tear in the primer bulb cause the mower to just shut down like that and not restart or am I gonna need to rebuild the carb?? I'm picking up new bulb tomorrow, which I'm thinking will fix my problem, but am curious if I might have a bigger problem.

Thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links

MO

09-09-07, 06:19 PM   #2  
Please post the engine Model, Type and Code numbers usually found on the engine schroud. We can then get a better idea of the possibilities. Have a good one. Geo

TX

09-09-07, 07:00 PM   #3  
Looks like the engine Model # is 12H807 and the Type # is 2632-B1.
The mower Model # is 917.377170

Thanks
Tim

TX

09-09-07, 08:12 PM   #4  
Forgot the code #. It's 00020256

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-07, 08:16 PM   #5  
You shouldn't be getting gas on your finger even if the primer is torn. I think the carb is flooding, probably something got in the needle/seat area and is keeping it from seating. Is gas dripping from the carb or air filter area now?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

09-09-07, 08:28 PM   #6  
No, there is no gas dripping from the carb or air filter now. I took the air filter assembly off today to get the primer bulb off and didn't notice any gas coming from anything. The gas on the finger happened on about the 3rd or 4th attempt at restarting. I guess it's possible I may have flooded the carb by priming it each time.

Tim

MO

09-10-07, 09:12 AM   #7  
Clamp off the fuel line and remove the carb bowl (careful with the gasket) clean any obvious junk from the bowl then clean the main jet, that is the nut that held the bowl on, it has holes in it that pickup dirt, I usually use the wire from a twist tie, then blow the holes with compressed air or carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner, remove the clamp from the fuel line to see that you have good fuel flow into the carb, reattach the clamp, reattach the bowl(careful with the gasket) and you should be ready to go. Have a good one. Geo

NY

09-10-07, 12:38 PM   #8  
I'd recommend removing the carburetor and cleaning & reconditioning it AND replacing the primer bulb. The Briggs parts you'll need to complete the task are: 394695, primer bulb; 498260, rebuild kit; 491588S, air filter; And, 493537S, pre-filter. Total parts cost will be under $20. Along with the parts may I recommend purchasing a can of Briggs spray cleaner, part number 100042.

TX

09-10-07, 12:49 PM   #9  
Hey Puey, I just got back from the parts store and bought every part that you mentioned, except the pre-filter. You must've sent the post 'telepathically' to me. Total cost was $19.72 & I'll pick up the pre-filter next time I pass by the parts store. Gonna grab me a cold one and go get everything done. Not sure how long the carb is gonna take me to clean up, but will post up my results when I get it all put back together. Hopefully I don't have any 'extra' parts when I'm finished!

Thanks
Tim

Search this Thread