Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs and stratton 18 hp carb problem

09-12-07, 06:06 PM   #1  
briggs and stratton 18 hp carb problem

This Mower Has Sat For A Bit Over 2 Years And It Ran Fine Until I Just Tried Running It Again Just A Few Months Ago. I Tore Apart The Fuel Pume(3 Screw Type) Replaces Everything There With New Parts, Cleaned Out The Carb And Replaced Needle, Seems To Run Fine Till The Bowl Empties And Then It Stops. Then It Won't Fill Up The Bowl. It Seems To Get Fuel Pumpeding In Spurts But Nothing Steady. Sometimes It Will Run With The Choke Shut And I Block Off Most Of The Hole In The Choke Too. It Seems To Be Pulling Some Vacumn From The Bottom Line To The Fuel Pump But Doesn't Seem To Be Strong Enough. I Have Blown Out The Fuel Filter And Most Of The Fuel Lines But No Luck. Any Ideas Would Be Greatly Appreciated. I Also Put In A New Starter Selnoid But It Will Not Start Without Jumping It Across To Start. Also Has A New Battery.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-12-07, 10:49 PM   #2  
As for the running problem, it sounds like you still have a problem with the fuel pump. There isn't supposed to be vacuum on the pump line...just pulses of air. If the engine is not sealed decently otherwise, the pump may not function properly.

The starter problem is probably because of a bad switch or blown fuse. Tracing the circuit with a meter or test light should reveal the spot where power is lost.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread