Riding Mower 20hp Briggs Stratton Engine

Old 09-13-07, 05:31 PM
Unhappy Riding Mower 20hp Briggs Stratton Engine

I have a problem with a Riding Mower 20hp Briggs Stratton Engine. (Crafsman-John Deere) Its 5 years old and today when I was using it the engine speed went to max and I had no control to lower it. All the linkage for the throddle and choke look OK an none of the springs are missing or broken. I am thinking the speed control govenor is causing the problem... Where would I find it on this engine?? and what else would anyone suggest..
Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-07, 06:31 PM
Governor

There should be a short linkage from the carb to a 2~3" governor arm that attaches to small shaft which enters the engine block. Sounds like that linkage came disconnected or maybe bound causing the engine to over rev. I'd chase down the governor linkage first. I've got an old Kohler driven Deere STX 38". It's on the left side of my block. Should be close to the carb.

Old 09-13-07, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you manually move the choke on the carburetor to slow it down? Does the throttle linkage move appropriately when you move the throttle control on the mower?

Out of curiosity, you say craftsman-john deere....which is it?

Old 09-14-07, 05:28 AM
Post Riding 20hp John Deere

Thanks Cheese.
The choke has more effect on engine rpm then the throttle. All the linkage to the carb is ok. Thanks for the help. I'm going to take another look at it this morning, for your suggestion.
I mis-wrote, It's a 20 hp riding John Deere lawn tractor, manufactored by Scotts (not craftsman)....so bacically I ride around on a bright orange (Scotts color) John Deere. With a briggs eng.
Thanks again

Old 09-14-07, 03:50 PM
Exclamation High reving engine

I do not know why but this size engine has been coming into my shop with the governor gear broken. For some reason there have been many failures in my area with this engine in the Scotts tractors. The choke will slow the rpms down by loading up the fuel in the combustion chamber. If you do not want to replace the engine soon, you need to pull the engine from the machine and remove the lower crankcase cover or sump. The gear is easy to replace and you will need a cover gasket and crankshaft seal.