Honda GX-160 Pressure Washer

Old 09-14-07, 04:55 PM
Honda GX-160 Pressure Washer

Hello all & Cheese: This 5.5 hp Honda GX160 Pressure Washer engine is shot and looks like it is quite a few years old. I want to remove the power head (Or whatever you call them)There are NO identifying marks or information on it anywhere...that I can find. I was told the power head is good; knowing absolutely nothing about pressure washers I can only describe it. This one is almost square and looks like there are 4 heavily bolted sections or cylinders on one side. It has a square aluminum adapter with 4 hex head round bolts attaching it, the adapter, to the side of the power head. It conceals the drive shaft and this adapter is then bolted into the engine with 4 more regular bolts. FINALLY, I have removed all the bolts. The power head rotates freely on the shaft. The adapter has been broken loose as well and snaps into place onto the power head if you turn it one direction and rotates freely back the other way until it hits the back side of the stops on the power head. All of this rotates free in both directions. It cannot rotate 360 due to the water and wand connectors protruding out the side. I can't logically deduct how to get all this apart and I'm in hopes someone has a clue what I'm talking about! I intend to fill the cylinder with rope tomorrow and see if it will simply unscrew but NOTHING is ever that easy so I doubt it will work. Finally, there is a small rectangular opening through the very end of the adapter just beside the engine. There could be a key or retainer of some kind in there but I can't see in or through it! Sorry for the long note and poor explanation...any ideas? Thanks, Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-07, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Ron!

Most of the ones I have seen are just slipped onto the crankshaft and held on by the 4 bolts you've removed. It sounds like you might have a CAT pump, or similar. Is it blue? I have had some rust tight to the crankshaft. I even had one where the pump was bad, but the engine was good, and I needed it for a project. The pump wouldn't come off for anything. I wound up busting up the pump to get to the pump shaft, and then cut it off of the crankshaft.

How bad is the engine? I don't think I've ever run into a GX160 that wasn't repairable. Those are some tough engines, and if someone wore one out, they accomplished something.

Old 09-14-07, 09:40 PM
No, Cheese, this one isn't blue it is silver and aluminum in color. I suspect it may have "Hermetically" sealed itself to the shaft as you have described. I can however, see what looks like the end of the shaft on one end. It doesn't protrude and has no bolt and doesn't have a cap of any sort that could be hiding a retaining bolt. I think I will "Gingerly" apply pressure to the head away from the motor and simultaneously tap or hit the end of the shaft. Maybe it is splined or something? I think your right also that this engine could live again. All the external parts are all rusted almost totally away. The carb and gas tank anyway. If I can't get the Power Head off I might just transfer tank and carb off the newer Honda and see if I can get it running again. Thanks for the help, Ron

Search this Thread