Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 7/24 transmission adjustment.

09-16-07, 09:23 AM   #1  
Toro 7/24 transmission adjustment.

I have a Toro 7/24 snowblower that I purchased used last year. The previous owner had some new parts put in the drivetrain. The problem I am having is it now only will drive in 1st speed forward and both reverse speeds. If I adjust the 1 shaft I can get all 3 forward speeds to work but lose both reverse speeds. Everything looks in good shape underneath. I think the problem is only adjustments needed after the new parts have gotten worn in. Does anyone know how to adjust this model. The model is a 7/24 #38050.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links

WI

09-16-07, 09:39 AM   #2  
Look at the following site: https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/default.cfm. Clidk on the parts viewer on the right side of the screen. You will need your model number and the first two digits of the serial number for the correct picture. The correct adjustment is to unhook the control rod at the lower attachment to the shift. The hookup for the speed adjust on the lower unit should be all the way to the left. With the shifter on the top control all the way to the right, the length of the control rod should just barely assemble with the length at the maximum pushing the lower control to the left. This should give you all the speeds forward and both reverse speeds.

09-16-07, 10:07 AM   #3  
Thanks. I will go out and try that. The site is also very helpful.

09-19-07, 10:34 AM   #4  
Ok. I looked at the website and I also did what you said. I still have the same problem. I have all 3 fwd speeds but no reverse. The only possible issue I can see is the reverse plate has a bolt through it to the shaft and not a roll pin. This may be causing a little bit of play in the reverse plate so the rubber drive wheel is not touching. Is there any way of adjusting where the 2 plates are(fwd drive pulley and reverse plate. It seems to me that once the rubber starts to wear there is no way of adjusting to maintain both fwd and rev. It almost seems that the 2 plates are to far apart and the amount of movement of the rubber wheel is not enough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

NY

09-19-07, 11:58 AM   #5  
I think you answered your own question. I'd say that the rubber drive disc is worn beyond adjustment. Or, if you have excessive endplay at the two drive plates then you may not have enough takeup with any adjustment.

09-19-07, 12:17 PM   #6  
What I was trying to say is that even if the rubber plate was brand new there is really no adjustment. If the fwd plate and the reverse plate are fixed in postion then the only place to put the rubber plate is half way between them. Then if there is any wear on the rubber then you can only adjust for either fwd or reverse and not both.

NY

09-20-07, 12:16 PM   #7  
Any excessive endplay with either aluminum drive plate?

09-20-07, 05:46 PM   #8  
No plat at all on the front plate. There is a very small amount of play with the rear plate. I am trying to find a roll pin that will tighten this up rather than the bolt that was in there. The Toro page shows a roll pin not a bolt. That is my only option that I can think of. If not I will live with no reverse and just pull it backwards. Faster anyways.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

WI

09-21-07, 07:05 PM   #9  
The friction wheel must run on either the right or left side of center on the disk for either forward or reverse. The overcenter causes the friction wheel to change directions. If the friction wheel is touching on one side of center then it should touch on the other. If not, is the bushing out of the ends of the shaft the disk is mounted on. Also check the busing holders on the shaft the friction wheel slides on. Something is not in proper alignment. The transmission adjustment must be correct to get the friction wheel to move past the center of the disk. With the shifter handle all the way to the right, it should push the lever on the friction wheel to the left as far as possible.

The adjustment for the amount of tension on the friction disk is in the rod from the handle you squeeze to drive the traction unit. I had unit that would not pull properly and the bushing on the end of the disk was allowing it to shift position away from the friction wheel, but it was also making a light rattling noise when just setting and running.

WI

09-21-07, 07:33 PM   #10  
Correction to my last post. When you allow the shift lever to go forward into a gear, the spring should put tension on the friction wheel against the drive disk. When you pull back into one of the reverse gears, the amount of pull you put on the lever puts tension on the friction wheel against the disk. If you do not have this set properly, you can have drive in one direction and not the other. To properly adjust this rod you should have about a quarter to one eight of an inch clearance to the end of the forward travel in the shift quadrant panel. Then when you pull back for reverse, you put tension on the spring and the wheel should touch the disk and drive in reverse. This rod is the one that travels up and down, not right and left. The right and left adjustment is still as explained earlier for the speeds. If properly adjusted you should just be able to shift to the right most speed slot.

Search this Thread