Can I do this?

Old 09-16-07, 07:45 PM
Can I do this?

I have two Briggs 5hp ( I believe) horz. shaft engines that have gear reduction units on them. is it possible to remove the gear reduction and be able to use it as is on say a go-kart or does it need a new crankshaft? model numbers are 133252 and 135232.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-07, 02:12 AM
Since both have gear reduction boxes, both, too, will have crankshafts with helical cut gears integral to the crank. You will need to find/purchase different cranks for each engine. Actually, it may be easier to find new engines without the reduction boxes.

Old 09-17-07, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
Since both have gear reduction boxes, both, too, will have crankshafts with helical cut gears integral to the crank. You will need to find/purchase different cranks for each engine. Actually, it may be easier to find new engines without the reduction boxes.
I got these engines with the hope I'd be able to remove the reduction box and clean/tune-up to re-sell them. (one has a bent exhaust valve, the other is in good shape. I suppose with the reduction box they're not worth much, eh? one's a '93 and other is '94.

Old 09-17-07, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They're actually worth more with the reductions, if you know who needs them. Check with concrete contractors. Several of them use reduction engines on thier mixers. They usually have a mixer or two with bad engines on them.

Old 09-18-07, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
They're actually worth more with the reductions, if you know who needs them. Check with concrete contractors. Several of them use reduction engines on thier mixers. They usually have a mixer or two with bad engines on them.
Thats what I was sort of thinking. the place I got them from does commercial roofing, but they just take the non-running engine off and replace it with a new one..