Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I do this?

MN

09-16-07, 07:45 PM   #1  
Can I do this?

I have two Briggs 5hp ( I believe) horz. shaft engines that have gear reduction units on them. is it possible to remove the gear reduction and be able to use it as is on say a go-kart or does it need a new crankshaft? model numbers are 133252 and 135232.

Sponsored Links

NY

09-17-07, 02:12 AM   #2  
Since both have gear reduction boxes, both, too, will have crankshafts with helical cut gears integral to the crank. You will need to find/purchase different cranks for each engine. Actually, it may be easier to find new engines without the reduction boxes.

MN

09-17-07, 04:38 PM   #3  
Posted By: puey61 Since both have gear reduction boxes, both, too, will have crankshafts with helical cut gears integral to the crank. You will need to find/purchase different cranks for each engine. Actually, it may be easier to find new engines without the reduction boxes.
I got these engines with the hope I'd be able to remove the reduction box and clean/tune-up to re-sell them. (one has a bent exhaust valve, the other is in good shape. I suppose with the reduction box they're not worth much, eh? one's a '93 and other is '94.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-07, 10:26 PM   #4  
They're actually worth more with the reductions, if you know who needs them. Check with concrete contractors. Several of them use reduction engines on thier mixers. They usually have a mixer or two with bad engines on them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MN

09-18-07, 03:20 PM   #5  
Posted By: cheese They're actually worth more with the reductions, if you know who needs them. Check with concrete contractors. Several of them use reduction engines on thier mixers. They usually have a mixer or two with bad engines on them.
Thats what I was sort of thinking. the place I got them from does commercial roofing, but they just take the non-running engine off and replace it with a new one..

Search this Thread