Yardmachine smoking

Old 09-17-07, 11:15 AM
Yardmachine smoking

I just recently mowed my lawn and while mowing i really just lightly nudged the lever that engages my blades but since the mower rides with resistance whether the blades are engaged or not. Everything still worked for about 10 minutes then it started to smoke. Now, if I do engage the blades it starts to smoke and smells something awful. I don't know if it's coincidence that I "nudged" the lever and then it started this issue but they occurred right near each other. The grass was really long as well and I was just going right over. I could hear it struggling to get through parts of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-07, 11:52 AM
I'm not perfectly clear what you have trouble with based on your description and it appears you may have two troubles since, apparently, the engine labors even without the blades engaged. Have you visually inspected the mower deck belt for trouble? When the deck belt control is disengaged is the deck belt slack? Have you removed any tension from the deck belt and felt the condition of the blade spindle bearings and idler pulley bearing? Is there, perhaps, a stick/branch caught up in the blade drive area? Have you looked on the underside of the mower deck to check for excessive grass buildup that could create interference? Or something wound up in the spindle area of the blade(s) such as plastic or long grass? It's not the engine smoking is it?

Old 09-17-07, 11:59 AM
I have not had a second to really look into this. I did quickly look underneath and did not anything that might be impeding. Smoke is coming from the deck not the engine and again, only when I engage the blades. I will get underneath the machine today.