Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Electrical Problem?

09-18-07, 08:14 AM   #1  
MTD Electrical Problem?

Hello
I have an MTD lawn tractor that continually blows the fusses. I looked at all the wires and no rub anywhere. I replaced the wiring harness and the battery and the solenoid and still blow fusses. Engine cranks when solenoid is shorted out. Have new ignition switch on the way but from what I've been told it may not be that. Looked up the schematic from the manufacturer and all wires go to where they should go? HELP I'm going nuts (and bolts) replacing things here.

Sponsored Links

NY

09-18-07, 02:27 PM   #2  
The purpose of the fuse is to protect from overload within the starting circuit which would indicate a starter motor problem. If, as it appears, you have covered all possible wire issues by installing a new wiring harness.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-18-07, 11:33 PM   #3  
Actually, the starter motor draws it's current directly from the battery, not involving the fuse. Many mowers have a short engine harness that unplugs from the main harness, and I doubt the new harness would have included this. If so, it may be the problem...or the diode on the alternator is blown (unplug the alternator plug and see if it still blows the fuse). Or, the alternator wire or other wire(s) could be pinched between the starter housing and the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread