Troy-Bilt self-propulsion not working

Old 09-18-07, 07:31 PM
Troy-Bilt self-propulsion not working

Hi guys,

I've got a 1 year old Troy-Bilt RWD self-propelled mower. It is the one that goes as fast as you squeeze the lever. About a month ago, I noticed that it wasn't propelling itself as well as it used to. It got to the point that it would not move by itself at all. It still cuts great and the engine seems fine, it just won't move itself. I thought maybe the drive belt was worn, so I replaced it. I still had the same problem. The weird thing is that if you lift up that back of the mower and squeeze the lever, the wheels turn......they just won't move the mower when you put it back down on the ground. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-07, 11:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like the cable might not be tight enough. I believe there is a thumbwheel where the cable meets the housing on the handlebar. Adjust this to gain tension on the cable.

Old 09-19-07, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the reply but I have already tried that. I maxxed out the tension using the thumbwheel. The mower still won't move itself.

Old 09-19-07, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the cover off at the transaxle so you can see the lever working, and pull the handle and watch the lever on or near the tranny to see if it's moving the entire length of travel required for it to go in gear (or for the belt to tighten, whichever way it operates).

Old 09-20-07, 08:37 AM
Yes,

When I pull the lever, the gearbox on the axle gets pulled to the rear of the mower, which pulls the belt tight.

When I say pulled to the rear, I mean really pulled to the rear. The belt is definitely tight.

Old 09-20-07, 08:51 AM
I have no idea of your mower but I had a rwd push mower once that used pins to engage the drive wheels. Once a pin broke and that wheel no longer spun. What I'm getting at is - is there a pin, a key, some sort of shear function to the axle that would allow the axle to spin and the wheel not spin? Throwing out thoughts here....

Old 09-20-07, 11:35 AM
I've seen several front wheel drive "Smart Speed" (variable speed) Troys at my shop but never a rear wheel Smart Speed, so post back with the model and serial numbers of your machine so I can have a look at the parts involved with the drive train.

Old 09-20-07, 12:23 PM
Thanks......I appreciate this.

The model number is 12AG836E711.

Old 09-20-07, 02:16 PM
I have been playing with a 10 year old yardman lawnmower that it basically the same thing you have......first is the wheels...they are put into drive by what looks like a booby pin....this engages a cam that then engages a star type wheel that is bolted onto the drive shaft...these have to be correct to properly propel the lawnmower.....if they are okay it looks like the worm gear in the the transmission is worn and is not engages a shaft that drives a chain to the wheels....this can be ordered on line...the worm gears or the output shaft are worn....if your going to replace one I would suggest placing both...the worm gear and the output shaft.....railroader 10...

Old 09-21-07, 07:09 PM
I broke down and took it in for service. The gears inside the transmission are basically worn down to nothing. I mowed with this thing about 25 times. I think they are going to replace the gearbox under warranty. Buyer beware. If anyone knows of a good brand of self-propelled mower......I would love to hear which one to get next time.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Old 09-23-07, 03:35 PM
Troy Bilt Self Propelled Problems

I have the same problem as listed by the other Troy Bilt person... exactly the same. Checked everything but the gears. Haven't taken it in yet, but called the repair guy.. he says he's had a bunch of these, same mowe, same problem. Transmission should be fixed under warranty...

Old 09-25-07, 09:50 AM
I'm hoping it will be fixed under warranty. I don't have my original purchase receipt. I checked it in at Lowes and I'm waiting for the repair guy to show up to take a look at it. I hope they have a better replacement transmission or it will just be worn out in another year anyway.

Search this Thread