outdoor generator no fire

Old 09-19-07, 05:26 AM
outdoor generator no fire

Outdoor generator has good spark at the plug. It is getting good gas and even with the air cleaner off it still will not fire. The exhaust has also been checked and is not plugged. Where else should I go and what should I look for. I have never had a small motor not fire after getting spark and fuel. Think it is a 2500W Sears. It does not even want to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-07, 07:46 AM
You say it is getting good gas but how far is that gas going? Can you spray a little fuel into the carb and get it to start for a moment? I'm thinking your carb is stopped / gunked up and needs a good cleaning. Post the numbers from your engine so folks will be better to help you with parts if needed.

Old 09-19-07, 05:39 PM
I have the thing at camp and do not know off hand the motor numbers. Hate to post that way but is how it is for now. I am thinking stuck valve or something of the sort....I have hot spark at plug. I have removed plug and even put hot shot in the hole then replaced plug and not even a sputter. I can't figure out fire/ fuel not even try to fire?..Think maybe valve?...

Old 09-19-07, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A stuck vallve would generally cause lack of compression. Does it feel like it has good compression? Has it been outside where water could have gotten in the carb? If so, a stuck valve would be a real candidate.

Old 09-21-07, 04:35 AM
No water in gas. Not outside in rain. Drained tank just in case got bad gas and put new in lots of compression.(had weedwhacker once ran out of gas, I bought new can full, mixed and it wouldn't start again..turned out to be bad gas right from the station after all that messing around)... I removed exhaust pipe..when pull starter it has lots of air exit exhaust so that shouldn't be plugged. I have just never in my live had spark, fuel, air and not even hint to start. Ok so what happened here is neighbor camp kids was running it. Ran it out of gas and now it won't start again. Even if the carb had dirt in it it would still at least try to sputter when pulling plug and adding gas right to cylinder...might not run but it would sputter some hope there.

Old 09-21-07, 07:18 AM
Something is missing then. Lets go back to spark. How are you checking for spark? What period of time elapsed between it running out of gas and this attempt of restart? Are you sure the gas is getting into of the bowl of the carb (assuming this is a bowl type carb). The fact that it doesnt even try to fire when introducing fuel into the chamber now has me wondering about spark.

Old 09-21-07, 08:20 AM
I agree with you Mugrump,putting gas into the cylinder would make one at lest "POP" perviding everything else is alright.Let's review for a moment.You said that it has lots of compression, has good spark at the plug.Since you was force feeding gasoline into it I can only think that you flooded it OR the spark timing is off.Check and see if the flywheel key is sheard.

Old 09-27-07, 07:28 AM
yep a review. I do fix lots of mowers but have never ran into this kind of thing. It has a bowl. I removed it. Removed the gas tank to make sure all is clean and open. New gas. Removed the air cleaner. jet is turned in and 1 1/4 turn out. Was 3 1/2 turns to seat. Removed spark plug. Grounded end on motor and when pull start it fires a nice blueish white spark. I at first sprayed a pinch of ether in it and replaced the plug. Not even a pop. So. New gas that is getting in. New plug that has hot spark. Not add enough gas to plug hole to flood but just touch to get fire....Nothing. If key broken. Not good spark...It was run the night before and then tried to start the next day by owner.....nothing. Like I said earlier, I never seen spark and fuel and not even a pop to try to start....at a loss.

Old 09-27-07, 12:00 PM
I was going to suggest you perhaps were cheat priming incorrectly and was either getting too little or too much fuel in the combustion chamber, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I, now, wonder if you have sufficient spark since you say it is has a white hue to it. Do you have an inline spark tester? I also still wonder if compression is an issue, do you have a compression tester to measure such? Post back with the engine make and ID numbers of such please so we know what you have.