Craftsman 19.5 HP Rider not starting

Old 09-22-07, 06:03 PM
Craftsman 19.5 HP Rider not starting

I have a Craftsman 19.5 HP riding mower that doesn't want to start. It acts like the battery is low on charge. I have charged the 6 month old battery and even bought a new one and charged it it will barely turn over. I was able to get it started tonight with the new battery after charging it for a while. I mowed for an hour, the amp guage showed charge the entire time. I shut the mower off then tried starting it again. Engine would turn over once before acting as if the battery was dead. Help please.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-07, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First question is how many cranking amps is the battery? If it's the little 140-160 amp battery for $20 at most department stores, it's not big enough for that big engine. Get a stronger battery with 280-320 cranking amps. Advance auto parts has a good one that size for $25.

If the battery is plenty strong enough and you still have problems, I would check all battery cable connections and if good, move to the starter. I find that the upper starter bushing wears and causes the armature to contact the field magnets and cause it to drag/overamp.

Old 09-22-07, 07:10 PM
Check the charging voltage with a volt meter with the engine running. Shut the engine off & again check the voltage of the battery while holding the key in the start position. What are you're readings?? Have you had your battery load tested?? A lot of these small batteries sit on a shelf a long time & go bad before you even buy them, so a load test & a hydrometer test is the first step. Let us know what the readings are. Roger

Search this Thread