Briggs Leaking Fuel

Old 09-24-07, 07:20 PM
Briggs Leaking Fuel

Hi guys. I'm back with a Horizoltal Briggs, Model 80252, Type 0049-01, code 81012603 with an air vane govenor. When I got the machine running, It was leaking fuel between the tank & the carb. I removed & soaked everything & put it back together with all new gaskets & it still leaks. Tried 2 gaskets between the carb & tank ( seen some like this) & it still leaks. Tried blue loctite on the carb to tank mounting screws & it still leaks. I can't see any cracks. Am I missing something, or is there a warp in the tank or carb I can't see?? Thanks everyone, Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 09:49 PM
Are you absolutely positive its coming from between the tank and carb? The only things that I can come up with is if the carb body is cracked or warped, if the gas tank has any dents in it or if there is gasket material left on the mating surfaces. if 1 or 2 gaskets doesnt take care of the problem, I'd guess something's cracked, warped or dented...

Old 09-25-07, 05:31 PM
I ran-up the machine tonight before it got dark & found it was leaking between the carb & the cover over the fuel pump diaphram. It has a new diaphram in it. I took it apart again & it's as clean as new. I put some fine lapping compound on a piece of glass & rubbed the pump cover till it was perfect flat. Run it up again & it still leaks. (maybe not as bad,tho)I cant imagine the carb boby would warp,& it has no scratches or burrs on it. Any one else run into this kinda trouble?? Thanks again, Roger

Old 09-25-07, 07:44 PM
I guess the only other thing I came up with is if the screws are too long and are bottoming out.. otherwise I'm at a loss..

Old 09-25-07, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't seen that happen before. If the screws aren't too long, then I guess the carb body is distorted. I assume it's leaking when running, but not when off, right?

Old 09-26-07, 01:50 AM
Good Morning hopkinsr2;

If you got the right tank gasket,then the feul tank is warped.
Tell ya how to stop it from leaking,I've had to do this to a many engines myself.Always works.
Take the carb off and put the tank in a bench vise.
Take a long,******* file and real carefully,one stroke at a time re-serface the top of the tank where the carb goes on.File in only one direction,you'll be able to tell after just one stroke how out of level the tank is.File under the whole carb.
That's the ticket.

Old 09-26-07, 05:56 PM
Hi Repairguy & Cheese. My carb leaks from the fuel pump cover on the side of the carb. I can verify this every time I start it, now that I know where to look. This is the really simple, little carb that fastens to the tank, ( you know the one) It doesen't leak between the carb & the tank as I first thought. It is from the area between the body & the pump cover. I checked the screws last night & they are all the same length & the holes are clean & deeper than the screws are long.. (* bang head here for stress relief *) Thanks for you're patience, Roger

Old 09-26-07, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it might be time for a carb, unless you have the time and inclination to try to match the surfaces closely enough to make them meet up tight.

Old 09-26-07, 06:27 PM
Thanks Cheese, I was hoping someone would have a cure for this. I'll probably price the carb tomorrow & let the owner call the final shot. I really hate letting something like this beat me, I may still try to finish the carb body just to say "I won" Thanks again, everyone, Roger