Weed Wacker Starting Issues...

Old 09-25-07, 05:45 AM
Weed Wacker Starting Issues...

Craftsman 24cc weed wacker
Eng: TPW021UB24RA:EM
Oil Ratio: 40:1

It would start previously unless i primed piston with some gas, but would die quickly.
So i cleaned carburetor, and now i get gas to cylinder,
but priming cylinder wont even start now. I do notice its flooding fairly easily and gas is leaking out of the exhaust.

I have two screws for adjustment:
1) has a "T" next to it
2) Has a "L" and "H" next to it.

Is it just a matter of adjusting it, or could my spark plug have gone bad that quickly?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 10:37 AM
ANyone have any ideas i can try? I found some posts talking about some exhaust screen or changing the idle screw?

Old 09-25-07, 05:54 PM
Try to verfiy you have spark. The plug may have gone bad, Or something may have happend to the kill switch /wiring when you re & re'd the carb. Let us know. Roger

Old 09-25-07, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By your description, I'm thinking it's flooding. I suspect the carb needle is leaking too much fuel into the engine for it to start. Did you install a carb kit when you cleaned the carb?

Old 09-26-07, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the tips. I checked the spark and its good.
Then i noticed i had left a gasket off, and when i put it back on. Back to square one, no gas making it to the engine.

So i checked the diaphragm and its sort of sunken in/ relaxed.
Is it supposed to remain stretched out, via the spring inside?
And while doing this, i managed to crack the primer bulb. Will this cause engine not to run? its still able to prime the engine sufficiently.

Ok so after some digging i am confused as to what the diaphragm is. Is it the piece that goes between the primer bulb and the carb. Or is the on the other side of the carb, covered with a plate, and has a spring underneath it? What are these parts called? Sears site doesnt have my model listed. Its a 96' Model.

Old 09-26-07, 09:34 AM
You do not have your model number listed but the certification number for the engine family for emmissions. Look for a three digit number followed by a - or . and several additional numbers.

Sometimes on these little units, a carb rebuild is best. The diaphram is under the square plate on opposite the prime bulb. The fuel pump is under the primer bulb plate. The name primer bulb is a misnomencature in that the bulb actually pumps fuel from the tank to the carb, purging out the old fuel back to the tank. A kit for the carb with a fresh needle valve using the old needle valve lever and a new bulb will most likely get you running again. The L screw will need to be backed out a 1 1/4 turn and the same for the H screw. This will get you running. If you stumble after you get started try backing out the L screw 1/8 of a turn and the H screw is adjusted a full throttle for a slight burping at high speed. If you are running too lean the engine will run real smooth and you can score your piston.

Old 09-26-07, 09:59 AM
That helps allot. Thanks.
My model # is: 530-049178

Where's a good place to get a carb kit?

Now the remaining question:
Can engine run with cracked Primer Bulb?

Old 09-26-07, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, the cracked primer bulb will keep it from getting fuel. This may be your entire problem, although it sounds like your carb needs rebuilding.

If the bulb cracked, there's a good chance it already had a bit of a pinhole, and also a good chance that the fuel lines have a tiny pinhole or crack, since they are usually bad around the same time the primer goes bad.

Old 09-27-07, 07:36 AM
Well that may be the case, but i've already replaced the fuel lines. Now i find out that Sears only sells the ENTIRE carb, for $40 shipped. Or i could risk going with non-sears Walbro Carb Gasket kit. But what are the chances that it still wont work.
Would it be worth it to buy all new trimmer?

P.S. ANy suggestions for suppliers for the kit?

Old 09-27-07, 11:53 AM
Your local small engine shop is the best source for parts, service and advice. Provided you have a Walbro carburetor then a Walbro kit - for your particular carb model - is best to use. Recheck the model number, the 530*** number is a part number not a model number and is most likely the part number of the sticker you took it off of. Also, on the carburetor will be identification of itself, such as WT-426. Post back with all the ID from the carb.

Old 09-27-07, 01:05 PM
puey61,
The carb is a Walbro WA622 ( with c6 above it?) ,
The trimmer model is: 358.798570.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-07, 02:47 PM
I think you'll find the carb is a model WA226 and, if so, requires a Walbro K20-WAT rebuild kit. You'll also likely need a new carb mounting gasket if you pull off the carb, which you should in order to recondition it. Do you have any local small engine shops that service handheld 2-cycle equipment? This would be a good choice for the parts.

Old 10-08-07, 06:02 AM
Finally got it running with a rebuilt carb off ebay!
Thanks guys for all your help!