Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

motor seized

09-25-07, 01:20 PM   #1  
motor seized

I have a TroyBilt riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Yesterday I was mowing with it and it shut off all of the sudden and wouldn't restart. I pushed it back to the garage and looked it over. Looks like the oil filter rattled loose enough to let the oil leak out... so now the engine is seized. Is there anyway to get it unseized?

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links

MN

09-25-07, 02:15 PM   #2  
I've heard PB Blaster or Marvel Mystery Oil will loosen up a frozen engine (from rust/corrosion) but if it locked up from lack of oil, it probably wont loosen up and most likely needs a rebuild. This is from my experience, anyway.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-25-07, 06:45 PM   #3  
I don't think you'll get it loose, and if you do it probably is done anyway. You might be able to rebuild it if you can get it apart. Sorry for the bad news .

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

09-26-07, 10:01 AM   #4  
I have gotten a few old briggs to come loose and run for a long time, it's worth a try.
Fill it with oil, remove the plug/plugs and squirt in a bunch of wd40, remove the engine shroud down to where you can get a socket on the flywheel nut now let it set overnite to soak, next day start trying to turn the engine back and forth, if you can get it to move just a little you have won, then it is just a matter of turning it until it loosens enough to start. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread