Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Mower Rust Repair

NJ

09-26-07, 04:59 AM   #1  
Lawn Mower Rust Repair

I was given a push mower that is in real nice shape except for some rust under the door at the rear of the frame. The previous owner evidentally never removed the wet grass clippings that get lodged there. The rust is of the flaking kind. I was going to use a product called POR-15 to stop the rust and then fiberglass the area with resin and cloth to restore it. Does this sound like an ok repair method ??? This product is used in the classic car world.

Sponsored Links

FL

09-26-07, 06:43 AM   #2  
for my unqualified opinion that sounds great. I'm thinking you're gonna wire brush or something to get the flaking rust off then apply the POR. I've never used that product but have used a similiar product that worked great. How much metal has rusted away to require the fiberglass?

NJ

09-26-07, 08:31 AM   #3  
Yep -- It will wire brushed and them blasted using glass bead. The fiberglass is more to restore the shape of the cutout area where the bag mounts. The flaking rust has made the metal thinner than I would like.

Non-US

09-26-07, 06:06 PM   #4  
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have always erred on the side of safety. If rust has compromised the strength of the deck of a lawnmower, I will NOT repair it. Before you start to fix it, Make sure there is only surface rust & no holes are rotted thru the body. The last thing you need is to lose an eye because a stone flew thru the rust hole in the deck of you're "Free" lawnmower. Just my pennys worth. Roger

NJ

09-27-07, 12:59 PM   #5  
hopkinsr2 - thanks for the response. Nope didnt take it the wrong way -- appreciate your comments. I will make sure it is safe to operate.

Search this Thread