Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snow Throwers

MA

09-28-07, 02:51 PM   #1  
Snow Throwers

I know,its too early to talking about the coming winter,but i thought today about replacing my 21 yr. Toro ccr 2000.
Next came the question of should i consider other brands?,Buy from a Big Box store,or Move south.
So i thought I'd come here to see what the experts recommend. I'm just throwing out some thoughts.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-28-07, 04:17 PM   #2  
Definitely move south.

I have a three car garage and thus a wide driveway. It also is very windy where I live. I bought an 8hp two stage at Menards a few years ago and it does a nice job. My old man lives in town (much less wind) and only has a two car width driveway. 5hp took care of his needs.

MA

09-28-07, 04:41 PM   #3  
Thanks . Thats helpful.

WI

09-28-07, 07:55 PM   #4  
Have you been happy with the Toro ccr 2000? It is still basis for the current Toro 221R etc. After servicing all brands, I feel Toro is still the best. See your Toro dealer and you will not be sorry. Price is the same as a big box and the service is better.

MA

09-29-07, 05:09 AM   #5  
I agree. My little Toro is 21 yrs. old so that says something for the brand i guess.
Thanks

NY

09-29-07, 06:08 AM   #6  
If you are going to stick with a single-stage, two-stroke snowthrower then I'd recommend nothing but a Toro. If, on the other hand, you're going to get a two-stage thrower then I'd recommend an Ariens.

MA

09-29-07, 06:40 AM   #7  
Doing some research,I agree on the Toro,and Ariens.
Some Sears models had a bad repair record. MTD and the others are iffy to.

NY

09-29-07, 08:00 AM   #8  
Actually, the throwers sold at Sears will be MTD products. You know that you'll hear five different opinions from five different people. As with any product you buy, and generally, the higher the cost, the higher the quality. While this is not always true across the board, it does fit well for the outdoor power equipment market. But, even a reputable manufacturer will design a dud from time to time, especially in the age of the Big Box stores. Most of the time, any bad news you hear about a particular manufacturer will be as a result of the ineffectiveness of the service network in your area. Heck, my shop has MTD snowthrowers, for instance, still running after 30 years of service. We've got customers with Ariens, Hahn-Eclipse, Simplicity, John Deere and Yard-Man Snowbirds, just to name a few that are from the fifties and early sixties that are in just as good shape as they were on the showroom floor. The owner plays a big role in that as well. If the owner has a poor record of maintaining their equipment, never changing just adding oil, never even looking at the air filter and so on, they will be the first ones to complain that their John Deere is junk when it needs a shortblock in just the fourth year of ownership. My point is, that virtually any outdoor power equipment you buy can and will be satisfactory if you maintain it well but there certainly are those that stand out in the crowd. And as far as throwers go, I like the Toro and Ariens.

MA

10-02-07, 09:20 AM   #9  
Well,i think i have decided on a Toro 522 snow thrower, and would like opinions on my choice.
I have a 50',double wide driveway. The snow fall can range
from a dusting to 10",or so. Specs. on the snow thrower are dual stage,3 forward speeds,1 reverse,5 h.p.,22" path,4 cycle,electric start. I liked this model as i don't have much room to maneuver around with 3 cars in the driveway and am getting to old to push the faithful little Toro single stage i have now. By the way,i'm going to buy from a dealer.
Thanks for comment

NY

10-02-07, 12:06 PM   #10  
Although it is a bit larger, check out the Toro Power Max 6000. It has a two-stroke engine similar to your old unit and has many nice upgrades compared to the 522 you're looking at and is only about $100 more.

MA

10-02-07, 12:43 PM   #11  
I went to the dealer this morning to compare the snowthrowers. the 6000 was fine but i would have a manuverability problem around the pathways, and between the cars with a larger machine
p.s...they had some Ariens to.

MA

10-04-07, 01:20 PM   #12  
Just to confuse things more,what opinion do you all have of a Ariens 624E. I looked at one today at a different dealer and after chatting awhile about my requirements,he suggested the 624E. Is Ariens a good machine? this one has 6spds.forward,2 rev. The price seemed right to.
Thanks

MA

10-05-07, 10:24 AM   #13  
This snowthrower buying process is like buying a car!! Choices,choices. Iv'e looked at all the two brands i would consider,Ariens and Toro. The final choice iv'e made is the
Ariens 724. Seems to meet my needs.
Any comments on this model would be appeciated.

MA

01-25-09, 07:47 PM   #14  
choices

If I had it to do over again... My first machine was a snowking 22" 5 or 8 HP I think with an Atlas thrower... It ran 14 years and still going I suspect. I thought to get a biger one with a bigger name John Deere... 30",...what a mistake. This junker stopped 40' into the job. Dealership adjusted thedrive, next snow fall, same deal...Dealership changed out the friction disc. Next snowfall, same deal...mechanic said these are actually Briggs and Stratton motors and blowers.... Only the paint and decals are John Deere. The smaller one is like you say, much easier to maneuver. Much easier to pull back, and what I liked better about the old junker I had was the handle for the drive was a large D handle like on a lawnmower, these new ones are much more fatiguing to keep depressed, Im refering to the upside down mounted bicycle had brake style.
Two stage is a given, I'd keep with 4 cycle, and 22" is plenty, don't make the same mistake I did.

01-27-09, 04:45 PM   #15  
Wow, lots of good opinions here. Here is one more. Vintage equipment is available by the boatload on craigslist. My first Craftsman Eager One was 8hp 24" and a 1980 model. It cost me nothing in 2000 when I acquired it from a friend that had paid $100 for it two years prior. It was never properly maintained and I have over the years kept it running and cheated just about every safety mechanism on it. Rather than start undoing some of the things I had done to diagnose some belt tensioning issues I went to craigslist. For $75: $60 for the maching and $15 for parts, I picked up a 1981-10hp 32inch monster machine that appears to only ever been used for one season. It is another Craftsman Eager One, a Drift Breaker 3 stage with headlamps and it will throw snow over the house. We get a few inches here and there a few times a season. I can do my driveway and my neigbors driveway in about an hour. Sure the machine is overkill but for $75 I should be good for several years.

Search this Thread