Honda GX120 4hp help

Old 09-30-07, 03:46 PM
Honda GX120 4hp help

I had the carburetor off and apart, cleaned inside and out. float is good, needle and seat is good, jet is clean. The engine surges without any choke. I have been through the carb several times making sure its squeaky clean. There is one screw that has a limiter tab on it.. adjusting it doesnt change the engine surge. serial # is GC01-2326847 QX2.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-07, 04:12 PM
The forum isnt letting me edit my original post, but I'd like to know what I should try to get the surge to go away. I have a honda gx160 5.5hp engine laying around that I took the carb off of it and tried it on the 4.0hp. the surge goes away but it quits after about 10 seconds.

Old 09-30-07, 06:32 PM
Not familiar with your engine at all, however you still have a fuel restriction, check the fuel flow from the tank to/thru the carb, if it has a diaphgram carb, replace the diaphgram and gaskets. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-01-07, 11:59 AM
Inside the bowl of the carburetor and in the center pickup area is a main jet and behind this is the emulsion tube. These must be cleaned out well as they must not be since you have a governor hunt (surge).

Old 10-01-07, 12:49 PM
I took the jet out but the main nozzle will not come out (and I was told it does not come out). I have ran a wire through the main nozzle, and blew it out. I have now soaked the whole carb in carb wash for about a half hour. I will reassemble it and try it one more time and see what happens. I could not remove one screw which I assume is the low speed adjustment.