Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 5hp ... carb help needed

WI

10-01-07, 08:32 PM   #1  
Tecumseh 5hp ... carb help needed

I just acquired an Ariens 5hp snowthrower (ST524) and having what appears to be air/fuel mixture problems. Starting with an engine that would not start, I confirmed spark and gas ... then moved on to basic carb disassembly and cleaning (nothing too invasive, just pulled the carb from the engine, removed the bowl, both mixture screws, and needle followed by spraying down with carb cleaner - no obvious blockages), followed by reseting the idle mixture and high speed mixture screws to 1.5 turns from being seated. Now the engine will start, but only with the choke almost fully closed. I have tried unsuccessfully to slowly tweak both carb adjustments and although I can it run at part choke, it quickly dies when the choke is fully open. As someone who has worked on cars since my teens including full engine rebuilds, this is driving me nuts!
Any help or suggestions on getting this diagnosed would be greatly appreciated. The carb is a Tecumseh float version with 3 adjustment screws (idle speed, idle mixture, and high speed mixture). Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Last edited by Doogie65; 10-01-07 at 08:46 PM. Reason: included additional details

Sponsored Links

MO

10-01-07, 10:28 PM   #2  
If you will check real close you will find some holes in the nut that held the bowl on, two at the bottom an another tiny one mid way up, clean these holes and of course the center feed and set all the other stuff back to original pisitions and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

WI

10-02-07, 07:08 AM   #3  
Thank you!!

Thank you soooo much!! After receiving your response this morning, took a quick break from work to try your recommendation. Needless to say I was a bit optimistic ... but the nut was so gummed up I could hardly see the larger hole, let alone the smaller one. So I spent some time with a fine brush and carb cleaner scrubbing and blowing out the holes. Also cleaned the needle/spring. Put everything back together, set the 2 mixture screws to about 1 turn from being seated and the engine fired right up. After a few tweaks, the engine ran with full open choke. Thanks so much for your advice!

NY

10-02-07, 05:36 PM   #4  
For future concerns with the carburetor, my motto is and always will be: Since the carburetor supplies the two essential ingredients and is the lifeblood of any engine, generally, I'd recommend replacing components rather than repairing. This, of course, depends on the condition of the components. In your case, though, it appears that you had/have significant varnish buildup and, in such situation I'd prefer to replace the main jet rather than attempt a cleaning and hope it is satisfactory, especially with a snowthrower which you don't, typically, want to chance a repair. If it were a lawn mower and the next time you took it out after a repair and it wasn't quite right, you'd say, "Okay, I'll let the grass grow another day or two and fix it right tomorrow." You won't be saying that at 5:00 in the morning with 12 inches of fresh, wet, snow-shovel-heavy snow in your driveway and you need to get to work on time. My point is, as I live in a snowbelt and know firsthand, that it's not worth cutting corners on your snow equipment, unless you don't mind shoveling backbreaking heavy snow that is.

Search this Thread