riding mower

Old 10-02-07, 12:45 PM
riding mower

i have several questions. does it matter if i buy a husqvarna from a dealer or sears? which would be better to buy a v twin with a briggs and stratton engine or a kholer with a single.
is a john deere L110 or 130 better than a husqvarna? according to consumer reports it is. but all my readings it isnt. i really dont want to spend more than about 1600.
thanks for your help
peggy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-07, 05:21 PM
From a serviced perspective and based on my 25 plus years in the OPE industry and not to seem biased I'll answer your questions as you asked. No, it does not matter if you buy from a box store versus an independent dealer, just fill in the blanks: sm_ _ _ busin_ _ _ keeps America growing. If the Briggs V-twin is a Vanguard (as opposed to an Intek) then I'd choose the Briggs over the Kohler. So, if not a Vanguard then I'd choose the Kohler. I'd choose the Deere over the Husqvarna. However, if $1600 is the limit of your budget then you may only have the Husqvarna option. Whatever you buy, however, should depend on whether or not you have a local service/parts shop in your area. What good is a mower when it's broken down with no place to service it within a reasonable travel distance from your home?

Old 10-02-07, 06:26 PM
more help

what is the difference between the Vanguard opposed to an Intek? all of sears are intek ( i think). the local small business dealer i am talking to and would buy from i didnt ask that question. i just know he has a hasq. with a kholer single engine, 10 gauge cutting deck and 2 blades. i heard 3 blades can give you an uneven cut??
but the john deere dealer i havent talk to but i believe is a single engine with a briggs and stratton.and the same price
so is there a lot of difference in noise with a single versus a twin engine? does one kind last longer than the other? is it expensive to work on a kholer versus the briggs.
the dealer said the kholer parts are not as easy to get..should that be a concern?
there is a john deere and hasqv. dealer near me. is there another riding mower i should consider in the 1600 price range?
my husband does not like buying from sears..but i dont really care. thanks

Old 10-02-07, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Puey61 on all aspects except that I would prefer the Husqvarna. Kohler parts are plenty easy to get...and I would pay extra for a kohler unless the briggs was a vanguard. Oh, I'd pay extra for a vanguard too if that's an option.

Old 10-03-07, 02:35 AM
The Vanguard is as bulletproof as a small engine can be. Its advantages over the Intek (and other engines in its equipment class) really are too numerous to attempt to convey. Any mower deck can cut uneven whether it be 1, 2 or 3 blade decks, you need to be aware of how to properly level a deck in case this ever comes up as a result of, say, striking a solid, immoveable object and thereby tweaking the deck. Generally, the fewer the blades the higher the quality of cut though, generally. Engine noise is not commensurate to engine size since the government has a say in the matter and most OPE applications must stay at or below a certain decibel level. Yes, generally, one engine will last longer than the other...The Kohler and the Briggs Vanguard are on par with one another. Please notice I have referenced only Kohler and not any particular Kohler but I should note that you should stick with the Kohler Command engines, as opposed to the Kohler Courage, for instance. There is not really a cost difference between the Vanguard and the Command, nor would there be any between the Intek and the Courage but there likely would be a difference between the Intek and the Command BUT you will also likely have fewer repairs with the "gold" level engines than with the "silver" level engines. As far as engine parts availability, both are on par with one another. Good luck and let us know your decision.

Old 10-03-07, 07:15 AM
Have you sat on the machines in question and operated the controls? checked for correct leg room, back support, visibility to the front?, ease of getting on and off? ease of removing the mower deck for cleaning? Those are some of the things to consider when buying a machine. And as mentioned above, where will you get it serviced/repaired? A box store typically does not have a service dept., it's farmed out to the local guy to them, or worse the lowest bidder available.

One last thing to consider is that box stores have little loyalty to the lines of products they carry, so parts that may be there this year, might not be next year. Example: Lowes used to carry Cub Cadet, but no longer does, and no longer has parts either.