Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere backfires

MN

10-02-07, 05:21 PM   #1  
John Deere backfires

I have a early 1970's John Deere 214 garden tractor with a 14 hp kohler K321AQS engine. I can start the tractor fine but when it runs at full throttle for about 10 min. the engine will backfire and die. I can start it back up right away, run it for 5 min. or less and the same thing will happen. The only way I can keep it runnning is run the tractor maybe half throttle or less. A friend suggested changing coil condenser and points. I have done the first two. Any ideas? One person said it might be a sticky valve. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-02-07, 07:49 PM   #2  
I would continue and replace the points as well (easy enough to do and needs to be done from time to time anyway even if they aren't the problem). Also, I suggest loosening the gas cap and see if it still does it. If the gas tank cap vent is not working, the gas tank could be developing a negative pressure, keeping fuel from flowing to the carb.

A sticky valve is possible, but I doubt it. The fact that it starts right back up immediately could make it hard to diagnose. Does it do anything odd just before it backfires? (surging, sputtering, etc...)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread