Advice buying used mower

Old 10-03-07, 08:55 PM
Advice buying used mower

Someone local has a used mower for sale. The info that I have is that it has a 36" deck and a 10 HP Tecumseh engine. It's about 10 years old, and runs great, according to the seller.

What kind of reputation does this mower have?

I'm a single mom without a lot of mechanical knowledge. However, I'm currently using a 30 some year old Ariens riding mower with a pull start, that I've taken pieces apart on here and there to get it running again.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-07, 09:36 PM
Lightbulb

The 10 Hp. Tecumseh engine,from thet period in time (in my openion is a pretty good engine.)BUT what kind of mower is it on,a Craftsman,Murray,yard mechine or what.it might be best to take a man who rides on and works with riding mowers to halp you listen for strange noies,in the engine,transmission,or the frame.

Old 10-04-07, 09:37 AM
At least a brand name if not a model number would help. The Tecumseh motor is a decent motor, but Lots of manufacturers used them and stuck them in everything from crap to keepers.

Old 10-04-07, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure how I left that part out!! It is a Craftsman. He didn't give me any other info via email. Actually, the info he gave me is: "38 or 36 in deck about10yrs o0ld runs great".

Old 10-04-07, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the deck in the area between the blades. There's a good chance there is a hole there. Maybe small, or maybe gaping, or if it's in really good shape, there isn't one. If it's in good shape, it is a decent mower. They held together pretty well considering they are just a low-priced mower to begin with. If it's in good shape, and if you can get it in the $300-$400 price range or less, then you probably are getting a fair enough deal. I agree that it would be a good idea to have someone look it over.

If you can get the numbers off the frame (on a sticker under the seat, model should start with 917. and include serial#) and numbers off the engine, we can help date the mower better. I believe they (AYP/craftsman) quit making the 36" mowers more than 10 years ago. Probably more like 15-20.

Search this Thread