Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Stihl Trimmer not running well after mutliple attempts to repair

TX

10-04-07, 05:42 PM   #1  
New Stihl Trimmer not running well after mutliple attempts to repair

I bought a new stihl fs55 trimmer from a local lawn power equipment store. They were very helpful during the purchase and initially I was very impressed with the trimmer in operation- ran great- cut great. However, after a few uses over a few weeks (a small yard) I found it would die off when applying full throttle. I took it to the store and they repaired it- said it was a carb. problem. So the day I got it back, I was having trouble starting it- ended up pulling the cord and it wouldn't retract. Maybe it was my fault, not sure, but I've been cutting grass for 15+ years with trimmers, mowers, blowers- all small engines- and never once messed up the start cord- never. Anyway, they fixed that, and today I brought it home to try again. I started it- but it started dying at idle right after starting, and would die again at full throttle. Honestly, I'm about ready to go nuts with this. $200 and I haven't trimmed my grass in over 3 weeks due to lack of a trimmer. What is going one? Should the store offer me credit- give me a new one- let me trade for a different model??

Sponsored Links

AL

10-04-07, 07:15 PM   #2  
Posted By: wp746911 I bought a new stihl fs55 trimmer from a local lawn power equipment store. They were very helpful during the purchase and initially I was very impressed with the trimmer in operation- ran great- cut great. However, after a few uses over a few weeks (a small yard) I found it would die off when applying full throttle. I took it to the store and they repaired it- said it was a carb. problem. So the day I got it back, I was having trouble starting it- ended up pulling the cord and it wouldn't retract. Maybe it was my fault, not sure, but I've been cutting grass for 15+ years with trimmers, mowers, blowers- all small engines- and never once messed up the start cord- never. Anyway, they fixed that, and today I brought it home to try again. I started it- but it started dying at idle right after starting, and would die again at full throttle. Honestly, I'm about ready to go nuts with this. $200 and I haven't trimmed my grass in over 3 weeks due to lack of a trimmer. What is going one? Should the store offer me credit- give me a new one- let me trade for a different model??

I've never experienced problems with any Stihl products like this.But also on the other hand, equipment waiting on to be sold (some times months) often times Developed dryed out carb diaphragms and the such.But Stihl does stand behind what they sell.So if I was you I'd get in touch with the Stihl company itself,tell them about your problem,They'll make it right.

TX

10-04-07, 07:51 PM   #3  
thanks for the reply.
I guess it is just frustrating- I emailed stihl and will go into the store on saturday and have a talk with the manager about why it isn't working properly...everyone at the store has been very nice it is just frustrating...

10-11-07, 01:55 PM   #4  
STIHL not running

Hi,

Sounds like an air flow problem that has developed, and this is typically due to a carbon buildup blocking the muffler gauze / mesh. This can be caused by not using STIHL 2 stroke oil or mixing the ratio incorrectly.

I suggest remove the gauze, clear it of carbon, and restart the machine, with the carb tuned back to the original settings.

Regards,

Jason Vlaar

TX

10-11-07, 04:25 PM   #5  
thank you for your reply. I used stihl 2 cycle oil from the store and mixed it it in a seperate gasoline container (only mixed for the trimmer) so I am pretty sure my mixture was correct. I haven't even finished off my first mixture yet.

I was prepared to take it in again, and tried starting it again and it ran fine. not sure why it decided to run fine all of a sudden. I had emailed stihl and they were asking for me to send me the serial number and the dealer- I feel that they were prepared to make things right if need be.

Search this Thread