Cltch removal from small engine output shaft

Old 10-05-07, 09:23 AM
Cltch removal from small engine output shaft

I recently picked up a used 3 HP B & S horizontal shaft engine. I am attempting to remove a fairly large diameter (9") clutch, with a sheave as an integral part of it, so I can use te engine for another appliction. I've been able to unbolt and remove the free-wheeling portion and it appears to have a taper-lock bushing system. I removed the two allen head cap screws and the hub is free from the bushing but I still can not remove them. The bushing is a split style and I've attempted to spread it open but it is still hung up. Has anyone worked with a clutch like I've just described and can you help me. I have no idea what kind of equipment the engine had been used on originally but it seems like it has hardly been used.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-07, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I know what type of coupling you are describing, but I the name of it won't come to mind right now for some reason. Anyway, if it's the type I'm thinking of, there are 2 or 3 threaded holes in the piece that is pressed onto the tapered part. You can thread bolts through these holes until they contact the back part, and tighten them a little at a time to press the part off. Then the tapered part will slide off freely. Shoot, I still can't think of the name. Maybe this is what you have anyway.