Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

help with electric start on 4 hp diesel engine

10-06-07, 08:51 AM   #1  
help with electric start on 4 hp diesel engine

Hi,
I was hoping someone on here could help my with my electric start. I have a brand new "yanmar" diesel engine with recoil and electric start. The starter is bolted to the engine, so it is already grounded. The bottom pole goes into the starter as it should, then I have the top pole and the little tab. I also have a "loop" of wires that have an open connector on them which I was told acted as an alternator and recharged the battery. I have tried to "hard wire" it without using a switch but have had no luck. I bought a switch t make sure it works but have no idea how to wire it.
it's a 3 position 5 pole switch (assuming it has off, on, and start. The 5 poles are labeled G (ground?), B (battery?), L (lights? i will not use), S (starter?)
, and M (magneto?). Where do these go? how do I use the recharge/alternator function? I have pictures if needed.
Thank you for any help.
-Alex

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-06-07, 02:12 PM   #2  
Pictures would help, for sure. On the switch, the letters are as you show, except the S terminal is fror "solenoid". This is for the starter solenoid. I'm not so sure this switch is what you want for a diesel, since it has no magneto, and this switch has no position to control the fuel shutoff solenoid which is how you stop a diesel engine (there's no ignition to kill).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread