Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere G100 Trans

IN

10-07-07, 07:46 AM   #1  
John Deere G100 Trans

I have a John Deere G100 garden tractor that I purchased form Home Depot. I have had the tractor now for 4 years. I mow approximately 3.5 acres with the tractor. I do have one pretty good size hill that may be 60 yards long. I have also been pulling a side mower deck that is a 60 inch cut with it own engine. At the end of this season that tractor started having trouble climbing the hill mentioned above. This would happen as I got to the end of mowing the property. It is now to the point where the tractor will not even pull the hill by itself (not towing anything and cold). I have changed the oil, made sure that the belt is tight, and that all the grass and leaves are not causing cooling issues. The trans does growl louder that when it was new. There didn't seem to be any metalic debris in the oil when I changed it. Is there any other solution to this other than rebulding the transaxle?

Sponsored Links

PA

10-09-07, 07:00 AM   #2  
Based on what info you gave, I'd say it is cooked and I'd probably replace rather than rebuild the hydro pump unless you can do the work yourself. The labor costs of the dealer doing the rebuilding make the confidence of getting all new a better deal.

NY

10-10-07, 02:30 AM   #3  
I've never heard of a "G"100, what is the model according to the ID sticker on the chassis of the mower? Also, look closely on the trans for the ID of this and post back with the make and model of such, if you would please.

PA

10-11-07, 09:47 AM   #4  
The G100 was the Deere garden tractor created to sell at Home Depot, soon replaced with the G110. Agewise I think it's about 4 or 5 years old +/-?

IN

10-12-07, 05:45 PM   #5  
Cooked Transaxle

bontai Joe

Thank you for the reply. I can get all the parts for this thing off of the John Deere web site and I can do the work myself. It will be interesting to get it apart to see what has failed.

Posted By: bontai Joe Based on what info you gave, I'd say it is cooked and I'd probably replace rather than rebuild the hydro pump unless you can do the work yourself. The labor costs of the dealer doing the rebuilding make the confidence of getting all new a better deal.

PA

10-15-07, 10:55 AM   #6  
If you have the skills, then definitely go for it. Only caution I can add is to keep the "innards" absolutely clean. Hydros do not like dirt inside them at all. I hope you keep us posted with how you make out, either way. I'm rooting for a success story here, but would be very interested in the difficulty of the job, and what you find inside.

Search this Thread