Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

5 hp briggs and stratton

OH

10-21-07, 10:33 AM   #1  
5 hp briggs and stratton

I have a 5 hp briggs and stratton on my leaf blower, model 135202, sn #93100807. I can pour gas in the carb and it will start, but as soon as that gas runs out it stalls out. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb and removed and cleaned the tank, it will back fire when it shuts off through the exhaust occasionally. I am lost on this one?

Sponsored Links

MN

10-21-07, 11:46 AM   #2  
Sounds like a diaphragm problem... if you did rebuild the carb, make sure the diaphragm and spring are seated properly. The Diaphragm is the fuel pump so if it is faulty it won't get gas..

OH

10-21-07, 12:31 PM   #3  
Posted By: Legal v8 Sounds like a diaphragm problem... if you did rebuild the carb, make sure the diaphragm and spring are seated properly. The Diaphragm is the fuel pump so if it is faulty it won't get gas..
I replaced the diaphram and spring also. I can see it is getting gas but eventually stalls out after about ten or fifteen seconds.

OH

10-21-07, 03:30 PM   #4  
Posted By: Freebird44216 I replaced the diaphram and spring also. I can see it is getting gas but eventually stalls out after about ten or fifteen seconds.
does this model have points and condensor? Model #135202 sn#93100807. Thanks.

MN

10-21-07, 03:30 PM   #5  
Well, if it gets gas to start with and stops getting gas after a short while there's obviously a restriction somewhere. Did you check the filter screen on the bottom of the pickup tube that goes into the fuel tank?

Edit: You need to specify the "Type" number as well. should be a 6 digit number (may have letters too - example is 0049-01) the "Code" which starts with 931 indicates it was made in 1993, so no it does not have points and condenser.

NY

10-21-07, 05:15 PM   #6  
Did you purchase a Briggs diaphragm or an aftermarket one? Did you install the spring then cap then diaphragm then cover, in that order? Did you, as V8 indicated, check and clean the pickup tube(s) screen(s)?

OH

10-22-07, 09:32 AM   #7  
Posted By: puey61 Did you purchase a Briggs diaphragm or an aftermarket one? Did you install the spring then cap then diaphragm then cover, in that order? Did you, as V8 indicated, check and clean the pickup tube(s) screen(s)?
Yers, I installed the spring then the metal cap then the diaphram. Yes it was a Briggs and straoon rebuild kit, not after market. I also pulled the tank, cleaned the pickup tube, and the screen. Just tried again and it did the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks

OH

10-22-07, 09:35 AM   #8  
Posted By: Legal v8 Well, if it gets gas to start with and stops getting gas after a short while there's obviously a restriction somewhere. Did you check the filter screen on the bottom of the pickup tube that goes into the fuel tank?

Edit: You need to specify the "Type" number as well. should be a 6 digit number (may have letters too - example is 0049-01) the "Code" which starts with 931 indicates it was made in 1993, so no it does not have points and condenser.
the type number is 0183 01

OH

10-22-07, 09:58 AM   #9  
I am wondering, could the coil be part of the problem? It isn't like it starts on first pull, I have to pull and pull and pull and keep pukking til it starts to run. What is the setting on the coil, distance or clearance between fly wheel? Thanks

OH

10-22-07, 10:19 AM   #10  
and I put a new spark plug in it also, it seems to be getting good spark. When I had the carb off, I soaked it in Gas, cleaned out the jet, then I blew threw the pick up tube and it seemed clear. This is an adventure.

MO

10-22-07, 03:50 PM   #11  
I think it is going to be necessary to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner such as NAPA mac 6402 or similar cleaner then blow out all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner. If your diaphgram kit came in a box rather than a sealed plastic pouch it could be bad from setting on the shelf. Try soaking the carb, I think your problem will be solved. Have a good one. Geo

NY

10-22-07, 05:55 PM   #12  
I agree with Geo, I, too, believe you'll need to soak it. The Napa #6402 cleaner works very well but use hand and eye protective covering as this is very strong stuff. Also, because one of the pickup tubes is plastic, soak for only 10 minute intervals then spray clean with a carb/choke cleaner then allow to air dry for an hour then repeat the process all over again as required to remove the varnish (at least twice).

OH

10-23-07, 04:02 AM   #13  
Posted By: geogrubb I think it is going to be necessary to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner such as NAPA mac 6402 or similar cleaner then blow out all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner. If your diaphgram kit came in a box rather than a sealed plastic pouch it could be bad from setting on the shelf. Try soaking the carb, I think your problem will be solved. Have a good one. Geo
Thanks, I will do that today. I did blow out all of the holes when I had the carb off and there didn't seen to me anything clogging it. Air flowed through but I am getting so good at taking it apart, I will soak it today and see what happens. Thanks

MN

10-23-07, 05:25 PM   #14  
I pull all the plastic parts off of my carbs and soak them overnight in "Gunk" brand carb and parts cleaner, rinse with water and blow off with compressed air. I have had excellent luck this way.

Search this Thread