Ariens Snowblower Axle Lock Pin Question

Old 10-21-07, 01:49 PM
Ariens Snowblower Axle Lock Pin Question

I've got an Ariens two-stage snowblower that works great. But one thing I can't figure out is the hub/axle option on the right wheel. The manual says you can "move the pin from the hub to the axle shaft to allow the right wheel to turn freely".

Okay, I'm an idiot. When I take the wheel off completely, there are two holes in the shaft (axle?). I've tried the pin in both holes, but sill have to wrestle to get the right wheel to free-wheel on a turn. Which hole is the hub and which hole is the axle? They are both on a single shaft...

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-07, 03:41 PM
Could you post model and serial numbers? Someone might be able to better help you this way.

Old 10-21-07, 04:16 PM
Ariens Two Stage Walk Behind Snow Thrower
Model#: 924116-1028 (28" intake)
S/N: (don't see how that matters)

Old 10-21-07, 04:40 PM
Hi Brewbob,

I think what you're doing is putting the pin through both the axle and the hub. If you do that the wheel will turn with the axle. To get it to freewheel, just put the pin in the axle, but not the hub.

Dick

Old 10-21-07, 04:46 PM
Yeah, as stated before there is two holes in the axle shaft.. it would make sense to put the locking pin in the outermost hole and not through the wheel and shaft.

Old 10-21-07, 05:10 PM
If you have the pin in the outer hole the wheel is to remain at the inner hole. In other words, you're not to move the wheel out to the outer hole, just the pin. This is generally no good for plowing through snow, it is basically for ease of movement while not throwing snow...around your garage, in the summer off months, etc. In the winter you will want to keep the pin in the wheel and inner hole.

Old 10-21-07, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone. Makes sense now.
Sounds like some of you may be in my neck of the woods (Western Oneida County)

Cheers!

Bob

Old 10-21-07, 05:18 PM
The reason there are two holes in the axle is if you wanted a narrow wheel spread for clearance. The outer hole is wider for tire chains but most of the newer models do not need tire chains due to a more aggressive tire tread. Then you slide the wheel in and put the pin in the outer hole for the right to free wheel and turn eaiser. We have a lot of ladies that have a hard time turning their blower arround so they put the pin in the outer hole with the wheel slid in. This allows a quasi differential with a straight shaft. Some the Ariens models do not have both holes on both sides, which sounds like what they are telling you in your manual.

Old 10-21-07, 05:50 PM
No, no, if you move the wheel out to the outer hole the axle will have endplay. You don't want this much endplay. Bad things will happen. The outer hole is only found on the RH axle half (on Ariens) and is only for right wheel freewheel, as I explained earlier.

Search this Thread