Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan Chain Saw

10-22-07, 06:13 AM   #1  
Poulan Chain Saw

Yesterday, the rip cord on my Poulan chain saw jammed. I removed a side cover to access the reel and try to free it up since the cord was not retracting anymore after a pull. Anyway what happened was after loosening a screw that holds the reel assembly in place, little did i know but there is a tightly wound coil/strip of metal below the plastic reel that basically just popped out. I tried to rewind this metal strip, but am not having any luck. I think i'm going to have to take the saw to a repair shop.

Just curious, has anyone else ever had a similar problem? Can this type of problem be repaired? I would welcome any suggestions or advice from anyone on the forum.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-22-07, 06:33 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

It's been a long time since I've had to do that and my memory isn't all that good The end of the spring has a little bend that fits in a slot - did you reconnect it there?

As long as nothing is broke it isn't a big deal to fix - hopefully someone with a better brain will be along shortly with better info

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

10-22-07, 07:24 AM   #3  
Poulan chain saw

Yes, there is a bend on the end of that coil, i'm going to give it another try and see if i can find that slot that you mentioned. I am just wondering now if i can actually wind up that coil and properly put it back in place. I guess i will see what happens. Thanks for your reply.

NY

10-22-07, 06:01 PM   #4  
It can be wound up (in hand and then install into the starter housing) but it is very tricky. Since you've already encountered trouble with this spring, I'd say you need to replace it. With this in mind and the fact you'll need to find a local shop for the spring and since these are very difficult to re-wind up properly may I recommend taking the starter assembly to the same shop and have them repair it for you. It's worth the few bucks they'll charge you.

Search this Thread