Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Tracto - Can't get in Neutral

TX

10-25-07, 10:07 AM   #1  
MTD Tracto - Can't get in Neutral

have a 2004 MTD tractor with 18 HP B&S, and a hydrostatic transmission. It has the little pull leaver on the back of it that in order to push the mower, you pull out the lever, and put the stick shifter in N. However, I do both of these and the tractor still seems like it is stuck in gear, and I can't push it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-25-07, 09:29 PM   #2  
Look at the plunger on the transmission that is activated by moving the lever. My bet is that it's stuck and isn't moving when you move the lever. Some penetrating oil and a little working with it should free it up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

10-27-07, 07:03 PM   #3  
The thing is though, if I put that leaver into the drive position and move the gear shift to either drive or reverse, it just sits there and whines!! Any other ideas please???

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-27-07, 09:27 PM   #4  
Brakes stuck. Jack up the rear end and see if you can rotate one wheel.

God bless!

TX

10-28-07, 05:23 PM   #5  
Posted By: cheese Brakes stuck. Jack up the rear end and see if you can rotate one wheel.
Nope!! How do I unstick the brake?????

Thanks for helping me!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-28-07, 07:28 PM   #6  
Look underneath where the tranny is, and note the spot where the brake linkage attatches to it. Manually move that piece the opposite direction from what it would move when you hit the brake. You might spray a little lube on the area, or take off the brake assy and clean/lubricate it.

God bless!

Search this Thread