snowblower wont stay running help

Old 10-26-07, 10:53 PM
snowblower wont stay running help

Does anyone have advice. I have a 1990 snowblower someone gave me. It has a tecumseh hm100 motor on it. When i first got it i cleaned of the magneto contact points and got it to run. It would only run on choke so I took the carb off and got a rebuild kit. I replaced the idle screw and gasket, the float, needle and seat gasket, and the bowl gasket. I cleaned the rest of the carb very well. I put it back together and the only way it will run is if i put my thumb over the choke end of the carb (cutting off the air). The second i move my thumb it dies.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-07, 11:29 PM
Clean the carb again, checking the orifice. I have used small strands of wire to clean these out.

The other thing that I can think of is a leak between the carb and engine

Old 10-27-07, 05:01 AM
You'll likely need to do a more thorough cleaning by using a bath cleaner. From the sounds of it, you have a heavily varnished carburetor and spray cleaners won't touch this. If you have a Napa store in your area they have a great bath cleaner, their item number is 6402. It comes in a gallon can and includes a basket to place the stripped down carb into (be sure to carefully remove the new seat you installed, otherwise it will be ruined by the bath cleaner). Be sure to use proper hand and eye protection while handling this as it is quite caustic and then, once removed from the bath, use a good carb/choke spray cleaner to wash it all off then allow it to air dry then install the new parts to the carb.

Old 10-27-07, 09:20 AM
thanks ill try those recommendations and ill let you know

Old 10-28-07, 06:54 PM
snowblower runs now

thank you for the advice. I got the carb bath, let it soak for an hour and put it back together. It runs great. I talked to the guy I got it from and he said it sat for about 6 years. The carb was definitely varnished very badly. For anyone else reading this the carb bath does a very good job cleaning carbs and parts.