craftsman self-propelled doesn't work

Old 10-30-07, 03:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
craftsman self-propelled doesn't work

Hi All.
I've been a member of DIY for a while, but new to this forum. I was hoping you could help me with a problem.

I have a 917.372473 Craftsman lawn mower. The self-propeller doesn't work. Heres what I've done so far...

I checked the wheels and gears and everything looked clean. I gave it a good lubrication anyway.

1) I removed the pully wheel cover.

2) Then started the engine and made sure the pully wheel is turning and the belt is not slipping.

3) I engaged the trans and it fully engages and locks.

4) One thing I noticed is the wheels don't turn until I push the mower forward. Even then, it works in a jerky fashion, i.e. it doesn't work continuosly.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I noticed there is something called the "worm shaft" located next to the gear case. Does it require adjustment? I checked the manual. It doesn't discuss any adjustments.

I appreciated any help.
-jasper

More info...

I bought the lawn mower new back in Jan 1992 for $179 and its been pretty reliable. I replaced the 2 rear wheels, spark plug, cutting blade and rear bag. Other than that, I change oil every year and clean or change the air filter. The thing still starts on the first pull.

Old 10-30-07, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The "jerky" fashion you described really makes it sound like the transaxle has gone bad. Watch the axles coming from the gearbox while in operation to see if they turn continuously, or in the same jerky fashion. If they do the same thing, then the tranny is bad.

Old 10-31-07, 02:18 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This tranny is completely rebuildable or can be replaced completely as an assembly. They're relatively easy to get into and service. Being a DIY'er, I say rip into it and see what the problem is inside the tranny.

Old 10-31-07, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

I plan to open the gearcase and see if I can figure out whats wrong. Hopefully something obvious. The piece parts aren't too pricey, but the entire gearcase assembly is $85. We'll see what happens. I'll post my results.

Thanks again.

Jasper

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: