JD 318 No start/gas - pump?

Old 10-31-07, 05:43 AM
JD 318 No start/gas - pump?

1000 hours on this lawn tractor. I took off the line to the gas pump, is this a vacume pump?, sucked, and got gas. However, the clear filter on antoher craftsman tractor I have is full of gas while this one has none and the tractor will not start. Think it's the pump?

Thanks in advance,

Lance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 01:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can't judge the operation of the pump by the amount of gas visible in the filter. Drop the carburetor bowl and see if it has gas in it. Crank the engine over and see if the pump moves gas toward the carb.

Old 11-01-07, 02:11 AM
I believe that this should be a vacuum pump, whether it be the Onan B43G engine or the Onan P218G engine. If the fuel pump has three fittings then that is a clear indicator that it is a vacuum type. Two fittings would indicate either a mechanical or electric pump. As for your starting problem, do you have sufficient, strong spark at each spark plug? Have you taken a compression test of each cylinder?

Old 11-02-07, 05:39 AM
It starts/runs good now but very rough unitil I choke it then it runs smooth but past the governer. This is while warm. Seems to me like it's not geeting enough gas.

Lance

Old 11-02-07, 06:32 AM
As Cheese touched on, remove the fuel line at the carburetor, remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over with a catch can (metal coffee can works well) at the end of the fuel line to catch the fuel from the pump. While I can't explain to you just how much flow is good but I think you'll understand when you see it. I believe you'll have a lean carburetor issue and should recondition it with the proper Onan rebuild kit. Having to run it on choke is a good indicator of such problem.