Sears Lawn Tractor Steering

Old 11-01-07, 06:59 AM
Sears Lawn Tractor Steering

I have a 42" 20.5 HP Automatic. P/N 917.270840
When I turn the steering near the end of travel it skips on the sector gear. I notice in the exploded view a Torx screw at the base of the shaft. Could this be loose and cause the whole mechanism to move during wheel turn? The sterring shaft receiver has a lot of play on the sector shaft arm.

Before I tear into this (need to remove the battery and lots of other stuff) I want to make sure this could be the problem. If not, I will order parts before starting the disassembly.
Thanks,
Wings515

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-07, 09:01 AM
While it is possible for the screw to have backed out, I doubt it did but I'm more inclined to say the support bushing that this screw holds in place is to blame, part number 160395. We see this alot at our shop.

Old 11-05-07, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see a lot of these too. It's usually because of the shaft support Puey mentioned, and when they get to the point that they skip the gears, they usually need the sector gear replaced as well. You can tell if the gears are sharpened off or close to it. There are sector bushings that usually nee replacing too. The entire sector assy can be purchased pre-assembled as well.

Old 11-06-07, 12:44 PM
Well I went hog wild into the diss-assembly. I found the plastic coupling was cracked. You were correct, the screw at the steering shaft end was not loose. I ordered the parts and just did the re-assembly.
I had ordered other parts and they will not be here until tomorrow.
It did take quite a bit of removal to get the complete assembly out. As a point of information, when removing the coupling, the sector gear must also be removed. When doing so, mark the position of the gear with respect to the control arm.
Without that you have to guess at how much travel you will have on the sector gear once you put it in the chassis. Since the steering shaft is on an angle, to get the control arm in the center of travel the sector should be in its center.
Hopefully I have solved my problem.

Thanks for th input.

Wings515

Old 11-06-07, 01:15 PM
You're welcome and thanks for updating us.

Old 11-06-07, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll notice that the sector gaer has a mark (line embossed) on it near where the shaft goes through it. This marks a skip in the splines. The shaft also has a spline that is filled at the end so that it won't go on without lining up the marks.

Old 05-26-08, 07:58 PM
Obsolescence The Sears Way.

Engineering built in obsolescence! Most times it is the plastic bushing/ bearing the shaft fits into and the sprocket axle goes through. This is the only part that is plastic in the steering assembly. Problem is usually caused by the bushing cracking and/or inside diameters wearing out causing excessive end play on the steering gears. This problem usually gets worse until the steering fails even on level flat ground. I haven't been able to order a replacement plastic part. It is the only part that Sears will not sell. This forces you to spend $$$ on the whole freaking assembly. You could try manufacturing a simular one out of say cold steel if you had the tools. I did strip one out of my old tractor and replaced the one on my new tractor. Most of the steering and for that matter many other parts can be interchanged. Thanks Sears for making a part fail and not giving any low cost replacement for it.

Old 05-26-08, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ummm...you can get one for less than $5 brand new. They usually last plenty long enough...by the time one has worn out, the mower has many many hours on it, or someone has used it a lot with underinflated front tires.