Small Briggs Lost Spark

Old 11-01-07, 07:57 AM
Small Briggs Lost Spark

I guess I found the right place to ask my questions. Here is my second one today.
About a month ago the spark failed on a model 100202 type 0552-01 code 77062707 B&S. I removed the flywheel and points cover to find oil on the points. I cleaned it off checked the gap reassembled and cheched the gap on the flywheel. It started fine.
Yesterday I went to start the engine and again no spark. Inspecting the points and they were clean. Can the magnet loose strenght in a month or is there another possibility?
I replaced the spark plug on the last go round.
This motor is used on a log splitter at a constant RPM.

Thanks
Wings515

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 10:44 AM
The magnet is probably OK. Check it with a screwdriver, if it pulls the screwdriver to it, it hasn't lost its' magnetism.

I'd bet oil has crept onto your point surfaces again. Got a lot of time on this engine? Maybe you need a new shaft seal.

Old 11-02-07, 02:21 AM
Chances are good that the oil has affected the contact points. I recommend replacing the points & condensor as well as the crankshaft seal. I could find no such engine model and type number combination so recheck these numbers. I can tell you that the ignition repair kit will be Briggs part number 299061. Without the proper ID numbers I can't tell you the seal part number.

Old 11-03-07, 11:31 AM
I checked the points for contact at closure and they were open on the meter. I took your advice and got an ignition repair kit. For all of about $5.50 I got a spark plug, points, condenser and spring, keyway and a tool to depress the spring. Replaced all, and it fired right up. Ran for two or three hits and then died. My fault, did not tighten the starter assembly sufficiently and sheared the key.
Replaced the key, tightened with a wood block, and it ran fine.

My question now is, how much force can that aluminium recoil starter assembly take before cracking. I was really afraid to pound on it too much.

Wings515

Old 11-03-07, 01:02 PM
Napa sells the tool for removing & installing the starter clutch & a flywheel puller. If you have a lot of these engines, look into them. I think the flywheel should be about 45 ft/lbs but the pros will tell you for sure. Napa # SME 705247 for the starter clutch tool to remove & torque with & SME 705231 for the flywheel puller. Roger

Old 11-04-07, 06:19 AM
Thanks, I'll check into it. You never have enough tools!

Old 11-04-07, 08:15 AM
Glad all is running well now, good job! Flywheel nut/starter clutch torque is 55 ft. lbs.