Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

(chainsaw)oil not lubricating chain

TX

11-01-07, 10:21 AM   #1  
(chainsaw)oil not lubricating chain

I took out my mikita chainsaw and started cutting a stump when I noticed that oil was not lubricating the chain. I was cleaning the saw when I started to explore the rubber lines to see if they were clogged., I blew out any debri that could have gotten stuck . I can't take it out cause the clutch is in the way to see if it's bad or what.Any ideas on what to look for and how to to remove the centrifical clutch that is in front.There is no nut in front of the clutch like some others I've seen.

Sponsored Links

NY

11-04-07, 08:56 AM   #2  
I see no one that is familiar with Makita chainsaws has piped in, so, generally, if the centrifugal clutch has no hex nut to use to remove such, you will use a hammer and a punch to remove the clutch in a clockwise fashion since it should be a left-hand thread on the crankshaft. Removing the spark plug and stuffing a good amount of starter rope in the combustion chamber to act as a piston stop will help you out greatly to keep the crank from turning when removing the clutch.

TX

11-05-07, 11:22 AM   #3  
Makita chainsaw clutch

Thanks puey61, I'll give it a try. I got this saw from my father-in -law who was cleaning an old house and was doing the yard and they didn't want to mess with it. It didn't start but I fix that the only problem I have is the chain lubricator does not work. I tried to take it apart but the clutch is in front.Is there anything Ishould be looking for in fixing the chain oiler.

NY

11-05-07, 11:56 AM   #4  
The Makita website has parts break-downs of all their chainsaws, check it out for help in doing your tear-down to get to the oil pump.

TX

11-06-07, 11:01 AM   #5  
makita chainsaw

Thanks puey,I'll give a try

TX

11-12-07, 10:16 AM   #6  
makita chainsaw

Thanks puey61,Igot the clutch off just as You said with the hammer and a center punch. It came off easy and also I noticed that plastic gear was melted pretty bad and the roller bearing came apart as Iwas taking it apart.. I ordered the repair kit from the makita web site and the plastic gear.Thanks again for Your help

NY

11-13-07, 02:23 AM   #7  
You're welcome. The key to prevention with chainsaws is frequent, thorough cleaning. It doesn't take major disassembly to do this but be sure to clean regularly.

Search this Thread