Briggs & Stratton won't start, just hesitates

Old 03-06-09, 06:51 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs & Stratton won't start, just hesitates

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can advise me as to what I need to do to fix my rider. It's a Ranch King Pro with a 16.5 Briggs & Stratton I/C Twin II engine. Model: 42A707 Type: 2238 E1 Code: 9808205 B. I bought it used and it worked ok over the summer, although whenever I'd turn the key to start it, it would hesitate but then it would always start. This winter I tried to start it up to keep the battery charged but while it still "tried", it only did the hesitation thing but wouldn't turn over. I changed the oil to a synthetic thinking that might help with it being out in the cold garage but still no luck. The battery is good and fully charged (had it checked at a local battery store), it has gas (that was treated for winter storage), new spark plugs etc. The man I bought it from addressed the hesitation upon starting saying that he'd had someone look at it and they replaced the starter but it still did that, yet it always turned over eventually so he didn't worry about it. It was 72 degrees today so I thought I'd give it another try, since it was warmer, but still the same problem. The fly wheel turns around about 1 1/2 to 2 times but then just stops. Any advice for a do-it-yourselfer? I don't have any manuals for it, I'm new at this but I've managed to learn and do small repairs on my pick up truck (I'm a female...little hands sure help out!) Due to these hard economic times, I'd prefer to fix it myself, plus there really aren't any repairmen in my area that will work on anything but John Deere. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-06-09, 07:18 PM
I
My first thought is the timing is off due to a sheared flywheel key. I am sure others will say valve adjustment.
You can find info here:
Maintenance and Repair - Briggs & Stratton

Old 03-06-09, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I don't think valve adjustment on that engine...it has no adjustments. I doubt flywheel key since it used to do this, but still start and run. That engine is notorious for being hard to crank anyway... Do you have a battery with at least 300 cranking amps? Is the battery 2 or more years old? I'm thinking since the engine has a new starter, and still does this, it has too small of a battery on it. Even if the battery tests fine, if it doesn't have the cranking amps, it can only do so much.

Old 03-06-09, 09:32 PM
L
Re: the battery

Battery was new in July 2008 and ca@ 32 is 350 so it sounds like it's adequate. I was hoping it was something simple like that but I guess not.
Someone else I know said it could be the top bushings on the starter wearing out, but I don't know how to test for that. Is that repairable or does that mean I have to buy a new starter? Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by LadySashya; 03-06-09 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 06:26 PM
L
Fixed it!!!!

It's alive!!! I spent this afternoon cleaning the battery terminals/cables til they shone and then chasing down wiring all throughout. I disconnected the cable to the starter and cleaned it very well too and reconnected. I'm not sure but the bolt didn't seem quite as tight on it as to others, so maybe this was the problem. I don't know exactly what I did to make it work but I jiggled every wire and un-did then re-did every connection, recharged the battery to be sure it was 100% and then tried it. It backfired pretty heartily when it caught but it DID start and I was able to run it around the yard (in the rain, haha!) a few times. I started it again several more times and although there is still a bit of a hestitation when I turn the key, it's not as bad as it had been. Thank you all so much for taking the time to advice to help me. If anyone needs any dental advice...just ask! (I'm a hygienist) LOL!

Old 03-07-09, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Good news! A poor connection will reduce the amperage from the battery just as if it had a low amp battery on it. Glad you found the problem!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: