Starter and seat saftey switch

Old 11-05-07, 06:21 AM
Starter and seat saftey switch

JD 318, the starter spindle need help extending out to the flywheel. Can this be lubed, if so, with what type and how, or am I in need of a new starter?

Also, how do you go about disabeling the seat saftey switch. I have two tractors that quit frequently unless I play with the device under the seat. Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance,

Lance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 09:30 AM
What's the make, model, type, spec, etc. of engine ??
Normally, the spindle of starter the engaging gear rides up and down on needs to be squeaky clean,
If it's a Briggs the engaging gear will be made of plastic and the teeth will wear off with time. You can buy just this plastic gear for about $6. Fairly easy to change.
Does the seat safety switch have two wires, or three??
thanks,

Old 11-05-07, 09:42 AM
JD 318 w/ Onan engine. m00318x2827049. The seat has two wires and a long skinny sanp together thing.

Lance

Old 11-05-07, 02:27 PM
I have a MTD GT 20/50 with an ONAN P220V for 12 years, it's been so trouble free that I haven't even changed plugs.
I'd make sure all battery cable connections are clean and check starter engaging gear for wear, as well as make sure the armature portion the gear rides up and down on is clean.

Old 11-06-07, 03:13 PM
This POS, will not start for me now. It will go on starting fluid untill I stop spraying. I don't see a bowl on the carb so, I presume it's not a float issue. I'm frustrated and lost. Perhaps, a rebuild kit on the carb?
Please help. I'm ready to find a big cilff and let her go. Also, where is the disengage mechanism for this thing so I can push it. God, I hate this POS!

But, ultimatley, I will not let it beat me. It's the principal mind you. So, again, please help.

Thanks,

Lance

Old 11-06-07, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like this thing has been sitting unused for some time.

I think you need to clean and reuild the carburetor.