Craftsman 6.5 hp lawnmower

Old 11-05-07, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 6.5 hp lawnmower

I have a 6.5 tecumesch engine on my craftsman lawnmower which I found on the side of the road. It did not start originally I cleaned the gas tank and lines, spark plug and exterior of engine and replaced oil, the igniton module was rusty so I cleaned that as well.
The engine fires now, but revs high and then dies after running for 5-10 seconds. I am thinking possible carb problems any ideas where I can start.

Thanks,
Johnny K.

Old 11-05-07, 02:47 PM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Remove the bowl from the carb, you will find holes in the nut holding the bowl on(main jet) 2 holes are at the bottom and a very tiny on about midway up, plus the one through the middle, clean these holes(I usually use the wire from a twist tie) then blow them out with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-05-07, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice

Thanks Geo, I will give this a try tomorrow after work.

Johnny

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
Remove the bowl from the carb, you will find holes in the nut holding the bowl on(main jet) 2 holes are at the bottom and a very tiny on about midway up, plus the one through the middle, clean these holes(I usually use the wire from a twist tie) then blow them out with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-05-07, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
Also, the high-revving makes me think the throttle in the carb may be stuck, so you might work it loose while you're cleaning the carb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: