Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 6.5 hp lawnmower

IL

11-05-07, 09:16 AM   #1  
Craftsman 6.5 hp lawnmower

I have a 6.5 tecumesch engine on my craftsman lawnmower which I found on the side of the road. It did not start originally I cleaned the gas tank and lines, spark plug and exterior of engine and replaced oil, the igniton module was rusty so I cleaned that as well.
The engine fires now, but revs high and then dies after running for 5-10 seconds. I am thinking possible carb problems any ideas where I can start.

Thanks,
Johnny K.

Sponsored Links

MO

11-05-07, 02:47 PM   #2  
Remove the bowl from the carb, you will find holes in the nut holding the bowl on(main jet) 2 holes are at the bottom and a very tiny on about midway up, plus the one through the middle, clean these holes(I usually use the wire from a twist tie) then blow them out with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

IL

11-05-07, 05:54 PM   #3  
Advice

Thanks Geo, I will give this a try tomorrow after work.

Johnny

Posted By: geogrubb Remove the bowl from the carb, you will find holes in the nut holding the bowl on(main jet) 2 holes are at the bottom and a very tiny on about midway up, plus the one through the middle, clean these holes(I usually use the wire from a twist tie) then blow them out with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-05-07, 07:47 PM   #4  
Also, the high-revving makes me think the throttle in the carb may be stuck, so you might work it loose while you're cleaning the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread